Album Title Owner Pictures Reverse Sort Order Last Picture
Picture French River Ontario
Leonberger 3 05-19-2010 03:42 PM
Picture Shenago River Oct 1st
mfdanko99 3 10-12-2011 04:17 PM
Picture Me
KenSorge 3 10-05-2012 12:05 PM
Picture Mill Creek, OH - Grand River trib
Virtual scouting of trib to Grand River at Hogback Ridge Park.
swampboy62 3 05-21-2013 10:22 AM
Picture Cuyahoga train ride/paddle
Ambridger 3 06-27-2018 08:56 PM
Picture TCT New Memories 2020-05-17
SOS57 3 06-05-2020 07:17 AM
Picture local shenango paddling
Hubs and me paddling around by the marina off rt 18
angela 4 07-04-2016 09:38 AM
Picture A "must do" trip if visiting the Las Vegas area
A calm water stretch of the lower Colorado River. Starts at Walters Landing, California. Ends at Fishers Landing, Arizona. About 32 miles total on the river.

Normally done as a 3 day, 2 night trip in the cooler winter months. The several times I have done the trip is in late January.

Nights and even the days can be cold at this time of the year. But often you have the river to yourself.

Our group normally gathers at Walters Camp (California) the day before the trip begins. There is a private paid campground there. There are flush toilets, showers, a very small store, and a very small bar (Basically cold beer) during open hours. While there is a small boat launch here, the place is really not busy. The 8 mile bumpy gravel road, off the main highway, tends to deter many, and anyone with an expensive boat and trailer.

We kick off our trip here with a communal campfire and socializing.

At sunrise we are up for a quick breakfast, break camp, and on the water.

The first days paddle is about 13 miles.

The actual first night off the trip, after paddling for the day, is camping on the California shore. At a "boat in" camp named 4S. This is a remote site, mostly boat access only, that offers picnic tables, sun shade structures and pit toilets. There is no potable water available. You have to pack out all your waste. This is first come first served.

The trips second day paddle is about 7 miles.

The trips second nights camp is at Picacho State Park, again on the California side. There are several group sites near the boat ramp. Nice pit toilets, and a central potable water faucet at each group site. There are also garbage/waste cans. With a short walk to the multiple single site camping area there are solar showers. They even work in the winter months.

Picacho is an old mining and Colorado river landing community. There is much to walk around and explore. Though structures are long gone.

The third days paddle is about 12 miles.

The third and final day of the trip ends at Fishers Landing on the Arizona side. This is a popular location for boaters, jet skiers, and summertime water fun. There is a place to camp, a boat launch/marina, and a popular bar/grill that sits near the water at the marina. After 3 days on the water you find that grill serves the best burgers around.

This takes multiple vehicles or outfitter services to coordinate put in and take out. Road miles around are close to 80 miles and you better figure at a minimum of 2 hours driving. There is a border patrol check point in the route you must pass through too.

I normally drop my personal vehicle at the take out. Get picked up by the outfitter that has a multi boat trailer. I often use my own personal kayak. I have also opted to solo paddle one of the outfitters canoes on several trips.

I get picked up at the take out, transfer my kayak. Get shuttled to the put in. Then set up camp at Walters camp to enjoy socializing the evening before the actual trip.
theyakpacker 4 06-16-2018 11:46 AM
Picture Unofficial Allegheny Run Franklin to Kennerdell 8/21/20
Pirates of the Allegheny. The Start of the Story.
Kelmark 4 08-29-2020 08:13 PM
Picture Lake Newport with Ray
TCT last official run on Newport for the seaon
SOS57 5 11-11-2010 11:40 AM
Add Album Add Album
Search: