Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tionesta creek march 31 (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=384)

SOS57 03-22-2012 09:45 PM

Tionesta creek march 31

[b]TIONESTA CREEK on March 31
Our next club trip is Saturday March 31. I will endeaver to lead us successfully and safely down Tionesta Creek from the bridge at Kellettville to the Nebraska Bridge. This is usually an easy paddle with no surprizes. For anyone interested, we have space available to spend the night camped in or around Tom's cabin near the takeout. We have room for quite a few inside. More details will follow.

SOS57 03-22-2012 10:13 PM

Tionesta on March 31 is still a go. I seem to be having a difficult time posting though. I will be at Tom's cabin both Friday and Saturday nites. For all who would like to join me, welcome. Friday nite is poitluck. Saturday nite is planned as a campfire, with the opportunity to cook dogs or whatever, along with pie irons for camp pies. Sunday morning breakfast is still vague. The cabin is off Golenza Road a couple mile from Nebraska Bridge.
For the trip itself: I would like to meet in the parking lot at Nebraska Bridge by 10:00am. We will try to shuttle all boats and people to Kellettville with as few vehicles as possible. I will be bringing the large trailer. The weather is variable, who knows this year? Pack according to your constitution. I highly recommend DRY spare clothing, packed to stay that way. We will be stopping for lunch along the river, match your gear with your appetite.
I can be reached at 724 699 0984. Voicemail and text are available as I can't always answer the phone.
LET'S MAKE THIS A FUN WEEKEND.
Stan

dakotamakiya 03-27-2012 03:35 PM

I plan to make it to the trip. I dont think I have been to that area before. I will most likely stay the night, camping outside with my dog. I will have my truck with my canoe but can use it help shuttling if we need to.
Matt

mfdanko99 03-28-2012 08:59 AM

Count me in as well, I am also going to spend the night saturday night. I will camp out as well. Really looking forward to this
Mike Danko

dakotamakiya 03-28-2012 05:58 PM

Hey mike if your down for a gear shakedown for the trip let me know

dakotamakiya 03-28-2012 06:02 PM

That sounded strange but I need to go though my gear before the trip and if anyone wants to go through theirs as well let me know. After every pound counts since the dog wont do much paddling

SOS57 03-28-2012 06:23 PM

Glad you can make it, Mike. I think EAR will be there Satuday night too. He is thinking about a short trip on the Allegheny on Sunday to round the weekend out. Weather is co-operating, 47plus Saturday and 60 Sunday. Rain is under 20% Sat and under 10% Sun. Anyone else coming?
Stan

JPTolson 03-28-2012 09:08 PM

I hate to raise the issue, but does anyone have any thoughts if there's likely to be enough water from Kelletville to Nebraska Bridge assuming we don't get any rain? Or is there a low-water alternative trip if there isn't? For the two gages on Tionesta Creek, one appears to be below the dam, so it isn't much help. Another is way upriver and the flow is running between 300-400 cfs.

River levels up that way have been on the low side of late.

jp

mfdanko99 03-29-2012 12:22 PM

Matt. from my understanding we will be camping at tom's cabin, so I am guessing we will have our cars there, so no need to paddle with camping gear, unless I am wrong. Does any one know?
Mike

mfdanko99 03-29-2012 05:49 PM

Just talk to stan, and he said just take what you need of rthe kayaking part, everything for camping leave in the cars until we get to tom's cabin
Mike

paul isaac 03-29-2012 07:29 PM

Floatable

Canoeing Guide to Western Pennsylvania and Northern West Virginia purports minimum floatable at 428 cfs. On the hopeful side forcasts call for rain Friday and Friday night, maybe up to half an inch. I'll see you on Tionesta Creek Saturday.

JPTolson 03-29-2012 08:54 PM

Thanks, Paul. I have a few other things on my mind and won't decide until the last minute if I'm coming.

jp

debra witowski 03-30-2012 08:21 AM

Crash wants to go for a ride

Since it too cold for a sit on top I have a friend with a canoe, see all of you on saturday.

EAR 03-30-2012 08:50 AM

Stan was correct, I will be up Sat. morning. I do plan to stay and float on the Allegheny from W. Hickory to Tionesta on Sunday, about a 7 mile run. If I'm going to spend all that money on gas, I'm getting 2 runs in !!
I'll be leaving Hubbard early and stopping in Tionesta for breakfast at a place called The Dinor (their spelling). When you come into Tionesta across the bridge (rt 62),make a right, and then another right about a half block down. It looks like a old mobile home trailer with an addition. I'll be there about 9.

Jeremy 03-30-2012 02:44 PM

Is there space for 2 more?...my wife and I are planning on coming on this trip and we are new to the group. We will have one canoe and will see everyone at Nebraska bridge. Let me know if I can help in any way.

85dragonfly 03-30-2012 04:08 PM

Tionesta Creek levels

The USGS gauge at Lynch (15 miles upstream from Kellettville) as of late Friday afternoon was reading 1.75 (about 310 cfs) The West Pa Canoeing Guide likes a minimum runnable level of 2.1 for either the Lynch-Kelletville run, or the Kelletville-Nebraska Bridge section. Therfore, it appears the creek is going to be somewhere around 3 or 4 inches below minimum. There are no great challenges on the lower stretch, but these levels probably presage a deal of scraping.

jerry lyda 04-01-2012 08:07 PM

Tionesta

How did the trip go ? I was on the Clarion the last 2 days. It was a great float, from ridgeway to Arroryo

debra witowski 04-01-2012 08:18 PM

Good weekend for paddling

Tinoesta had water. We had a good trip and the views were good the creek had lots of turns.Didn't even have to paddle that much the creek was going 3 miles a hour. Crash enjoyed the outing and I think he may perfer a canoe to kayak. I saved my paddling for today (and I am going to brag) at Vermillion I was the fastest old lady and I even had a dozen other ladies in my age group we out numbered the men, but then the men got 3 different catagories for kayak lenght. I think I was the 2nd female overall.The canoe division I think was won by 2 70 year old men.

SOS57 04-02-2012 05:36 PM

A QUICK RECAP OF OUR WEEKEND
Wound up with 8 of us and 2 dogs doing the Tionesta. A beautiful day for a normal march 31. However this year we are all spoilled and considered it kind of chilly and damp after the summerlike weather we've been having. Ed took the pressure of us all as he managed to initiate the river within the first 25 feet of launch. Mike now has company as an early dipper. We had a great 11.7 mile run otherwise. Plenty of water, only a few bumps when you weren't paying attention. No surprizes on this usually placid section. Nice to see the Nebraska Bridge back in place and open. 4 of spent the night at Tom's cabin and made a 5 mile run from West Hickory to Tionesta sunday morning. We saw the eagle at the fish hatchery launch. For all those who didn't make it, come on out for the next trip. I believe it's the Grand.
Stan

JPTolson 04-02-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debra witowski (Post 1402)
Crash enjoyed the outing and I think he may perfer a canoe to kayak.

Nice to hear that Crash may be moving away from the dark side....I always had faith in him.:60:

mfdanko99 04-04-2012 06:24 PM

Great trip and thanks to tom for letting us stay at the cabin, and to stan for being a great host and cook for breakfest.
Got some pictures from both days
Mike:biggrin:

jimbo 04-04-2012 07:01 PM

Canoeing dogs

Nice pictures Mike; sorry I missed what looked like a great trip. Rogue really seemed to have a good time!

JPTolson 04-04-2012 07:17 PM

Thanks for posting the pix of the trip, Mike, to help me enjoy it vicariously. Really sorry I couldn't make it. Looks like those low water minimums for the gage at Lynch in the western PA guide book may need to be reexamined. It appears you had plenty of water???