Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Unofficial) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mahoning River Youngstown (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1190)

mfdanko99 07-28-2018 04:10 PM

Mahoning River Youngstown

Looking to put together a side trip on the Mahoning River through Youngstown.
Not sure if anyone would want to do the 9 miles to Lowellville or do the shorter paddle to BoB Cene bridge that is about 5 miles.

Meeting at 11am at B & O

Let me know if you are interested
Mike
330-766-3129

mfdanko99 07-31-2018 06:19 PM

Trip Review

It was a great side trip down the Mahoning River Sunday July 29th
total of 6 paddlers.(JP, Andrew, Todd, Shelly, Jessica, & Myself (3 kayaks & 2 Canoes)
Jp paddled with his nephew Andrew visiting from New Jersey. (It was odd not seeing JP solo canoe). For Todd & Shelly first trip on a river.
We did the 9 miles from B & O to Lowellville. The rapids were all good and fun as usual. At the Cement Plant Wave Train JP was still able to solo for a minute and show me the correct way to peel out in a canoe into the current.

USGS 1.80 ft at West Ave Gauge.
Passages threw the Struthers dam super easy, far river left slot
Passage threw the Lowellville dam super easy, far river left slot

Mike

JPTolson 07-31-2018 07:31 PM

Thanks for the B&O to Lowellville Trip!

Many thanks to Mike Danko for posting a last minute side trip down the Mahoning through Youngstown to Lowellville on Sunday, July 29. My nephew from New Jersey and I had been trying to do a canoe trip for a long time and he made it a point to spend an extra day in Ohio on his way to Michigan so we could paddle. We had intended to use the Camp Hi shuttle and paddle the Cuyahoga from Russell Park back to Camp Hi. But instead we jumped on Mike's trip when he posted it on Saturday.

What a great trip it was! Perfect weather and water level–not too hot or windy and 1.8 feet on West Ave gage and great paddling companions–Mike, Jessica, Todd, Shelly, and Andrew, my nephew. I gave Andrew a bit of an thrill (scare?) early in the trip when we went a little too far right through Marshall Street rapids and the canoe tipped left when we angled atop the water pillow flowing over the large rock close to shore. At least two of the wave train rapids–Iron Bridge (river right just downriver of Rebar Rapids) and another one on river left somewhere below the Struthers dam–really picked up speed while bouncing through them. The trip on this section was another reminder of how much good work that Chuck Miller, Ed Hahn, and friends have done to open up and maintain this stretch of the Mahoning. It was another great day on the river.

Duke 08-04-2018 09:28 AM

I'm sorry I missed this trip. I have been wanting to do the exact trip you took. Were there any areas that required portaging? I have a 11.5 sit on top fishing kayak...…..are there any areas that might be a little tricky to navigate? I generally go alone and I worry about "tricky" areas. I will monitor the site better in the future so I don't miss your next trip.

JPTolson 08-04-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 4999)
...are there any areas that might be a little tricky to navigate? I generally go alone and I worry about "tricky" areas.

"Tricky" would be a relative term based on paddling ability and changing conditions on the river. There are a several Class 1/1+/2 rapids along the way. The trickiest of these in my view at low to medium water levels is Rebar Rapid because of a couple turns required to navigate it cleanly.

However, the major concern is making it past the Struthers and Lowellville dams. Much has been done in recent years to help paddlers safely navigate these areas. Though signs have been placed to help, a paddler still must be able to recognize which chutes provide a safe passage. Bear in mind that these are dangerous, low-head dams that are mostly intact. Even the few chutes that have been modified for safe passage could be blocked with debris. And carrying around the Struthers dam is difficult and strenuous.

There are others who are much more knowledgeable about this run who may have a different opinion or who could weigh in with more detailed information. In my view it would be prudent to first make this run with someone who is experienced with it. I'd recommend watching this board for another pick up trip or watching the Mahoning River Paddling and Restoration Group on Facebook.

Hope this helps.