Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Geneva Swamp (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1509)

mfdanko99 11-09-2021 09:10 PM

Geneva Swamp

Geneva Swamp (PA)
No Shuttle
Trip Leader- Dustin Noel
When- Sunday November 14th
Where- There is no exact address for the launch. The drive for the launch is off of Shafer Rd Meadville, PA 16335
GPS 41°32'58.8"N 80°10'52.6"W
Time 11 am

Please join Trumbull Canoe Trails for a November 14th paddle. We will be winding through the Lily pads and cattails of Geneva Swamp. There will be no shuttle required on this out and back flat water paddle. We will meet at the launch under interstate 79, where the friendly beaver lives.

(See GPS coordinates)

https://goo.gl/maps/KBkReK7BM6otQRei8 )

We will meet at 11am with a launch of 11:30. We will paddle to the low head dam at the end of the swamp and back. There will be many sights to see such as beaver, muskrat, and many birds/waterfowl. We may extend the paddle up the swamp after we return depending on water level and time. There is a low bridge on route 19 that may be hard to get under depending on water level for the add on trip. This bridge is on the second half if time permits and will not hinder us on the main paddle. Can’t wait to fellowship with great people on the water.

Dustin Noel
724-301-4751
Dustinnoel@hotmail.com

DustinSW1627 11-11-2021 09:21 AM

New Boat

1 Attachment(s)
Well those of you who know me won’t be surprised I will be paddling a new boat Sunday. It seems like I paddle a new boat every trip. Lol. I just finished a restoration project on a Curtis Nomad solo canoe and can’t wait to try it. See you Sunday I hope.

jimbo 11-11-2021 09:29 AM

Very nice canoe!

DustinSW1627 11-15-2021 07:25 AM

Cold & Snowy

It was cold and snowy on Geneva swamp but any day on the water is great! We had 4 paddlers in 2 canoe’s and 1 kayak. We put in under interstate 79 paddled out a little more than half the distance of the 79 bridge. We then made a hard left to snaked through the Lilly pads. We paddled to the far end of the swamp where we enjoyed hot coffee, hot cocoa, cookies, and a beautiful view. We then paddled back up the swamp passing the 79 bridge and exploring the other end of the swamp, while the snow began to fall. The bridge at route 19 proved to be low and only one paddler limboed under it to get to the other side. At this time it was snowing quite hard. We paddled back to the cars under the interstate 79 bridge where we were shielded from the snow flakes. We covered 4.24 miles in a little over 2 hours. Thank you for a great paddle, with a great club, full of great people.

JPTolson 11-15-2021 08:20 AM

A true frostbite run

Sounds like a true frostbite run, the traditional November trip designation. Great to hear that a few paddlers were undeterred by a little chill. And true to the Ed Rigby Rules for counting canoes vs. kayaks, canoes can win if the turnout is low:1:. Wish I could have made it.

KenM 11-17-2021 09:30 AM

34 deg and snow

I was sitting here Sunday with a nice hot cup of tea. Looking out the window it 34 deg, and little breezy. It was snowing and everything was starting to turn white. And then I thought...

Darn ! I could be out paddling !!

--Ken

KenM 11-17-2021 09:44 AM

How many canoes?

1 Attachment(s)
How many canoes?
Attachment 273

DustinSW1627 11-19-2021 08:25 PM

9 from where I’m standing

1 Attachment(s)
Wow! My wife and kids are falling over laughing at the truth of your picture. I put new wood gunwales on a mad river Malecite today and sanded down a Curtis Northstar to restore next. I can see 9 canoes from where I’m standing in my garage. We won’t count the ones in other places right now. Lol