Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Local Waters (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mahoning River Trail Designation (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=375)

JPTolson 02-29-2012 11:54 AM

Mahoning River Trail Designation

There is an article in the 2/29/12 edition of the Vindicator about 23 miles of the Mahoning River between Foster Park and Packard Park being designated as an Ohio Water Trail.

jp

onbohio 03-01-2012 07:20 PM

That's good to hear that it will now be easier to get grants for that section. Good job Zach. Looking forward to helping out with the cleanup. Let me know if you need any help beforehand as well. I can try to get some volunteers if you think you'll need them. I can help out with the docks at Canoe City too, just let me know when.

Tom Smith

mfdanko99 03-02-2012 11:26 AM

This is why we our joining Zach & Trumbull metro parks on June 23 & 24th on cleaning out the river of tree's and installing mile markers along the river.

I hope for a good turn out for this run.

Trumbull MetroParks 05-22-2012 08:32 AM

Mahoning River

Mike

I am looking at going out this Saturday May 26, 2012 for a trip on the Mahoning from Foster to Newton Falls to check things out. Let me know if you want to go.

Thanks

Zack Svette

mfdanko99 05-22-2012 08:18 PM

Zack count me in, what time do want to meet at foster?
If anyone else wants to come and see how the mahoning looks before the clean up

Mike

burrowsj 05-22-2012 08:26 PM

Count me in for saturday. Anytime works for me but the earlier the better. It is going to be HOT!!!!

debra witowski 05-23-2012 08:27 AM

Saturday

Sounds like time for the sit on top, Crash is finally ready he jumping on kayaks and wanting to swim. Can you post what time to meet and where? And I still have to make it all the way down the Connie I keep falling out at Rooster Tail rapid, does the club give swimming citations?

Trumbull MetroParks 05-24-2012 08:45 AM

Dear Everyone

I was also thinking earlier the better. How is meeting at Foster at 8 am? I would like to see some rain between now and then, the river is low real low. If we don't get rain I would say this would be kayak only because there are portions that are shallow.

mfdanko99 05-24-2012 05:32 PM

Count me in I will be at foster park around 8 am

Mike

burrowsj 05-25-2012 09:48 AM

Now I can't go, Have to work tomorrow. :(

richpinky 05-25-2012 07:17 PM

Zack,
I will be there with my kayak at 8 a m. will we have WATER ? Hopeing for a heave dew tonight :). Plan B ?

JPTolson 06-24-2012 10:14 PM

TCT,

For those who may not have yet seen it, Trumbull County MetroParks and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources recently published a glossy brochure of the Mahoning River Water Trail. The brochure is very well done and even mentions the role of TCT in Foster Park becoming part of Trumbull MetroParks. I really like the map and the distances between access points given in the descriptions of put-ins and take-outs??down to hundredths of a mile!

Trumbull MetroParks 07-24-2012 08:18 AM

Signs For Water Trail In

Dear All

I recently received the signs for the water trail and I would like to schedule a couple of trips to install them. Please let me know what you want to do.

Also we are having a ribbon cutting for the water trail at Swift Park on Friday, August 17 @ 10 am. After the ribbon cutting I would like to have a float down the Mahoning from Swift to Canoe City. Please let me know if you are able to attend.

Sincerely

Zachary Svette
Operations Director

onbohio 07-24-2012 05:52 PM

When were you thinking? I could help out this weekend. Next weekend I'll be out of town for a family reunion.

onbohio 07-29-2012 12:41 PM

How do you install the signs? Do you need anything? How many signs are there?

Trumbull MetroParks 08-06-2012 02:46 PM

Signs

Dear All

Sorry for the late reply to all your messages. I have been trying to figure out how to put all these signs out. I will be putting signs out tomorrow for the section between Swift and Canoe city. That section is pretty easy.

I will need help on the river every where else. I have indentified 12 river mile signs that will need to be put up using the river and 11 signs that I will be able to do from the road.

As a reminder I have the Ribbon Cutting for the Mahoning River Water Trail on the 17th @ 10 am and everyone from the group is invited. I am thinking any weekend after that works for me to put up the signs for the river. Please let me know what works best for the group.

Sincerely Zack svette

mfdanko99 08-08-2012 06:07 PM

Mahoning is on the MAP

Zack
If all holds at work I will be there Friday the 17th for the ribbon cutting.
As far a trying to get a trip togethor for the signs it might be tight.
I could help Aug 12 (Sunday) or
Aug 18th (Saturday), or Aug 26th (Sunday)

What days could anyone else help out and we can meet up and get it done.

Also I was on the Little Miami River today and was looking at State Water Trails map and the Mahonong River was Highlighted with bold letters as the new river for 2012.
I was talking to the some of the River Time Canoe club members about it and left some of around Brochures at that station.
Mike

onbohio 08-08-2012 06:15 PM

Of the dates Mike could make it, I could be there on the 26th.

Trumbull MetroParks 08-14-2012 08:46 AM

26th

the 26th works for me, We have all signs done from swift to canoe city. I need help with signs everywhere from Foster down to Packard Park in warren. We can start where ever you guys feel comfortable. Let me know.

burrowsj 08-14-2012 01:15 PM

I can help on the 26th. Post location and time and i'll be there...

JPTolson 08-14-2012 08:18 PM

Not sure if I can make it in the next few weeks as we're getting a new kitchen that will soon be "under construction."

clipper1 08-15-2012 03:46 AM

JP

So sorry to here about your construction. You'll have to keep an illistrated log on fb so the rest of us (who also are getting ready for the KAOS), might learn from your achievements and your mistakes...:17::17:

JPTolson 08-15-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clipper1 (Post 1687)
So sorry to here about your construction. You'll have to keep an illistrated log on fb so the rest of us (who also are getting ready for the KAOS), might learn from your achievements and your mistakes...:17::17:

Rich,

I've kicked, screamed, and whined loudly about kitchen remodeling for going on two years. Apartment living for most of my adult life is not good preparation for this kind of stuff. However, that lifestyle provided lots of paddling opportunities :59:. I'm sure that many surprises await once the hammers and saws appear. I will post a few before, during, and after pics on FB at some point.

jp

burrowsj 08-17-2012 08:24 PM

What type of tools do we need to bring on the 26th. Hammer, etc...

J.P. My parents are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. Get ready to change your mind 500 times.. Have fun!!!

Trumbull MetroParks 08-22-2012 03:16 PM

On the 26th, I would suggest canoes if you have them. The trip will be from Rotary Park to Swift. We can get the river mileage signage put up there. We will have 6 mile markers to put up. Mike Danko, I will ride with you in your canoe if that is ok. We will have 6 posts, signs and the corresponding hardware to take. I will also have the post driver to make life easier. Let's meet at rotary at 8 am to get another early start, should not take all day like last time.

Zack Svette

mfdanko99 08-22-2012 05:21 PM

Sounds great, will see you sunday at 8 am at rotary park in Newton Falls
for people who don't know were the park is the Address is
1025 first street
Newton Falls, OH 4444

More the better so please come and help our home river!!!!

mfdanko99 08-25-2012 06:56 PM

Just a reminder, tommorrow we will be putting up mile marker signs on the Mahoning River from Rotary Park to Swift park. Little under 7 miles. Looks like a great day for a paddle.
Mike

JPTolson 08-25-2012 07:39 PM

I'm won't be able to make it tomorrow. Still have too much to do related to kitchen remodeling.
jp

burrowsj 08-25-2012 10:25 PM

I'll be there, but I can only work till 1pm.

mfdanko99 08-27-2012 07:28 AM

What a great day, It was a great paddle as 5 of us got the Mile markers up and some signs that warn you of the bridges.
Thanks to, Jason Mulloy, Jonathan Burrows, Ed Rigby, Zack Zvett, TJ Flamini (non member) for the help.

Only to section left that need signs, and those will be easy. Foster park to Rotary. (some signs already in place that zack could get from the road)

& Canoe City down to Packard Park need done.

Thank again to all who came

Mike Danko

mfdanko99 08-30-2012 01:07 PM

Jason post real nice pictures of Sunday's trip from rotory to swift park as we put up signs.
Great job and thanks for the help jason
Mike Danko