Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lake Author @ Moraine State Park (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1392)

flagsracer9 05-30-2020 09:11 PM

Lake Author @ Moraine State Park

Lake Author-Moraine State Park
McDanels Boat Launch (No Shuttle)

Trip Leader: Mike Danko

When- Sunday June 7th

Where- McDanels Boat Launch, McDanels Rd, Portersville, PA 16051 (No Official number address)

GPS 40.967365, -80.12409

Time 1 pm

Time to hit the water again. We will head to Lake Author and use McDanels Boat Launch. This launch will allow us to stay at the northern part of the lake in all the coves less traveled by bigger boats.

This is a very pretty section that will have us pass by an osprey nest, hidden river, and maybe even the part with five point campgrounds.

I sure am looking forward to seeing so many of my paddling family. Hope for a good turn out.

Mike Danko

Directions:

From Interstate 376 & St Rt 224 in New Castle, PA
376 East
Keep left at the fork to continue on US-422 E
Take the US-422 E exit toward Butler
Continue onto US-422 E
Use the right lane to take the US-19 ramp to Mercer/Zelienopole
Turn right onto US-19 S
Turn left onto Burnside Rd/T365
Turn left onto W Park Rd/T890
Turn right onto N Shore Dr (then another quick right)
Turn right to stay on N Shore Dr
Turn left onto McDanels Rd
McDanels Boat Launch, McDanels Rd, Portersville, PA 16051

mfdanko99 05-30-2020 11:27 PM

just got done reading the new covid-19 orders for Ohio. Until July1st there is to be no gathering bigger than 10. So that closes the door on Ohio for June, but Pennsylvania is different. PA is doing it by county and by color code, Red, Yellow & Green. The Green counties are allowed gatherings up to 250. That works out great for us as Crawford, Lawrence & Mercer Counties are Green.
For the second time this year we will be moving the June 7th paddle to a new location to stay compliant to all orders in both states

EAR 06-07-2020 08:37 AM

Just break into two groups if more than ten show up. Appoint a second leader and start a little later.

mfdanko99 06-08-2020 09:03 PM

Jessica posted some pictures from the paddle

mfdanko99 06-09-2020 07:21 PM

Review

What a busy day that was a little chaos at the ramp. I was surprised to see how much McDaniel’s boat launch is used. Made it hard to tell who exactly was with our group.
Once we got on the water we started out as a group, but slowly got spread out into smaller groups.

From Stan and myself I counted 51 tct paddlers in 42 boats (6 Canoe’s 1, Tandem Kayak and 35 kayaks) (one green leaking kayak, no names mentioned ken)
Some left early, some head to the beach to swim and some went all over the lake.
It was so great to see so many old friends and meet new members of the group. I really enjoy talking to everyone and seeing everyone is do well.

We are truly luck to have a big group come out and I thought we did an ok job at social distancing for our group.
I think the Shenango Reservoir trip will be easier as the Hartford launch won’t be as busy with other paddlers.
Glad to see everyone
Mike Danko

jvanbro 06-09-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfdanko99 (Post 5952)
Jessica posted some pictures from the paddle

Haha she got me a few times, I'm glad I got a couple of you two and your pup. I'll get it uploaded. Thanks,
John