Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Frost bite Paddle-Pymatuning Creek (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1661)

mfdanko99 11-04-2023 09:40 AM

Frost bite Paddle-Pymatuning Creek

Lake Newport-After talking with several members and calling the Mill Creek Park District I am going to move the paddle. The reason why is that Lake Newport is at a lower level and paddling up through the island and up Mill Creek and back is very challenging due to water level and down branches in the waterways of the islands .

Pymatuning Creek
Trip Leader- Mike & Bob Danko
When- Sunday November 12th
Where- Andy Dorick Park 8285 Hartford St (St Rt 609) Burghill, OH 44404. It is in Orangville, OH but has a Burghill address.
GPS 41.33973202074817, -80.52025844072836
Time 12:30 PM
We will do a nice up and back from Orangville on the one of the newest Ohio Wild and Scenic Rivers in Ohio. Pymatuning Creek was designated in 2017 as a Wild and Scenic River. We never know what the weather will be like this time of year so depending on the weather will determine how long we paddle for. Could be Sunny in the 50's or Snowing in the 30"s ; It's Ohio your guess is good as mine. Dress for the weather.
After the Paddle Jessica and Myslef will head to Top Notch Diner in Cortland Ohio if anyone would like to join us.
Any question please text or call me 330-766-3129
Mike Danko

KenM 11-11-2023 12:57 PM

K & c

We will be coming.

Anyone know if there is a potty there? Just wondering... it's an hour and a half ride for us. There's never been one there in past years.

---KenM

mfdanko99 11-11-2023 05:27 PM

I don't think there is a port a john

EAR 11-11-2023 06:39 PM

I'll be there tomorrow. Couple things, there is a bar / restaurant right down the street, Yeagerbaums, will be open. Clean restrooms. And, I'm looking at the googley map and it says the canoe launch is closed temporarily. Guess we will find out.
If there is a problem, we could move down to the Parker Landing area launch

KenM 11-11-2023 09:48 PM

Andy Dorick ?

Who is this person?

SOS57 11-12-2023 02:03 AM

I'll be there. The closed launch is not the park. It's across the bridge on the opposite shore. Been closed a long time.

JPTolson 11-12-2023 08:48 AM

Planning to be there

Planning to be there for the Frostbite Run.

Krisdrlng76 11-12-2023 09:07 AM

I believe 5 Point Country Convenience Store has a bathroom.
8430 OH-305, Burghill, OH 44404

KenM 11-13-2023 09:11 PM

Nice Up and Back Paddle

What a nice day for a paddle. A bit cool at 50° but sunny and no wind. Can't beat that for mid-November! I thought we had a pretty good turnout with 4 canoes and 5 kayaks... 10 paddlers total. We paddled upstream 2.6 miles only encountering a few downed trees. Nothing gave much problem getting around though.

The river is backed up here because of the low head dam just below the launch. But even after we got upstream there is almost no current, so easy paddling. We saw several beaver dams and one eagle flew over. This section of river goes thru the Shenango Wildlife area. I really enjoyed the secluded feel of fields and woods we passed.

Right at noon the nearby church began bell-ringing with hymns. We were getting ready to launch. It reminded me that some old paddlers say that "Being on the river is like being in church". ---KenM

Thanks, Mike. This was a good choice.

JPTolson 11-13-2023 10:18 PM

Beautiful Trip!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM (Post 7176)
What a nice day for a paddle. A bit cool at 50° but sunny and no wind. Can't beat that for mid-November!

Could not agree more...It was a beautiful run on a crystal clear day. Pymatuning Creek is a gem. Water level was 5.0 feet on the US Geological Survey gage at Kinsman. Here is a group photo from the trip. Apologies to Betka in the blue kayak on the left who I inadvertently cut off from the picture.