Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lake Newport Paddle (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1594)

trjim 11-01-2022 11:40 AM

Lake Newport Paddle

Lake Newport in Mill Creek Park
No shuttle
Trip Leader - Jim Keenan
When - Sunday November 13
Where - There is no exact address for the launch. It is on East Newport Dr.
GPS- 41.06007, 80.67418
Time - 11:00 am

On November 13, there will be a paddle on Lake Newport in Mill Creek Park. The park has 3 lakes, and lake Newport is the largest of the three. Mill Creek was damned in 1928, creating Lake Newport and the surrounding wetlands. I would like to have everyone launched by 11:30 so 11:00 am is a good arrival time. The dock has the best kayak launch I have used, you just place your boat in the launch and push off into the water. The dock is located on East Newport Dr. If you are coming from the south, take Shields Rd and turn north on East Newport Dr. You will find the parking lot and dock (approx. 2 miles) your left. If you are approaching from the north you travel south on Glenwood Ave. Turn right on Ferndale and then left on East Newport Dr. The parking lot and will be short distance on your right.

I hope to you there.

Jim Keenan (330 402 0707)

mfdanko99 11-07-2022 01:33 PM

Mike and Jessica will be there

Ambridger 11-12-2022 01:55 PM

Mark and I will be there.

JPTolson 11-12-2022 09:11 PM

Hope to be there

Going to try to make to the Lake Newport run.

jp

SOS57 11-13-2022 12:42 AM

Lake Newport Paddle

Looks like I'm going to miss this one. Hope to see you all for the Chilly Chili Paddle next month.

mfdanko99 11-13-2022 09:14 AM

Bad news Jessica and myself will not be able to make it.
Will be at the chilly chili paddle

JPTolson 11-13-2022 02:53 PM

Beautiful Day on the Water

Many thanks to Jim Keenan for leading a small group of four bundled up paddlers in three kayaks and one canoe on a blustery day for just shy of two hours around Lake Newport, up Mill Creek, and back to the East Newport Boat Launch. The trip was sprinkled with occasional snow flakes, periods of sun, and a brisk breeze that created a dynamic sky featuring patches of blue and all shades of gray, white, and purple clouds on a day when the temperature didn't make it out of the 30s. After all, this was the club's frostbite run!

Leaving the boat launch, we headed west across the lake to find shelter from the wind. We then picked our way through the shallows of the lake's south end and the wetland channels to reach Mill Creek and attain within about 100 yards of Shields Road. At that point, a stiff current, aided by Friday's rain, became even stiffer and convinced us to turn around. Several great blue herons watched our progress from afar as we moved up and down the creek and took off when we got too close.

We pondered what it would be like to run Mill Creek from farther up its watershed, but concluded that many strainers across such a small stream would be inevitable and make it a slog. The rapidly changing sky and peeks of sun throughout this trip combined for a very beautiful run, making it another great day on the water!

Photo of Frostbite Run paddlers

KenM 11-15-2022 08:16 AM

Sunday Nov 20

High 28, Low 16

Another great opportunity to get out and paddle!

:biggrin:

---kenm

JPTolson 11-15-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM (Post 6881)
High 28, Low 16

Another great opportunity to get out and paddle!

:biggrin:

---kenm

Sounds perfect for the upcoming Chilly Chili Run!