Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Slippery Rock Creek, 2013 (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=539)

paul isaac 03-02-2013 06:00 PM

Slippery Rock Creek, 2013

I am happy to lead the crew on the first trip on the Slippery Rock Creek. I've made this float a number of times and it should be a very nice trip. The float contains all class one rapids. Being a new float for nearly all of you, I suggest packing a precautionary spare set of clothes if you think you need it (but you probably won't). It's not an overly long float, maybe 2 hours, so I'm not planning a lunch on the way, but there are some local restaurants that we could visit afterward for those interested.

Let's hope for good floating conditions! See you there.

- Paul

Details:

Slippery Rock Creek run from Armstrong Bridge to Ellport Park
March 17 at 11:00 am
Cell: 724-730-6351

We will be meeting at the take-out
Ellport Park, east on 3rd Street in Ellport, PA (not Ellwood); past the ball field
(GPS: 40.86469,-80.25547)

We will then shuttle to the put-in together.

EAR 03-04-2013 11:56 AM

Is there a water gauge in the area and what would be a minimum level to paddle?

burrowsj 03-04-2013 12:45 PM

Count me in. Well, unless it is 10 degrees and snowing. :41:

JPTolson 03-04-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAR (Post 1973)
Is there a water gauge in the area and what would be a minimum level to paddle?

USGS gage at Wurtemburg. Western PA Canoe Guide says 1.3 is minimum for the section we're running. Paul probably knows better whether this is accurate.

paul isaac 03-05-2013 08:34 PM

1.3' is quite minimal but adequate. The upper limit of 2.8' I cannot verify. At 1.74 I still would be interested in seeing more. Starting at Armstrong Bridge eliminates the portage at Hienz Camp's low head dam, the state removed a broken dam and the low head dam at Camp Allegheny. While that leaves a removeable dam that may require an easy portage I expect it will not be up. The take out will have us exit the Slippery Rock and take us down the Connoquenessing about 1/4 mile[all class l]. Take Out is between a baseball field and Ellports waste water treatment plant.

kayakbob92755 03-06-2013 10:06 AM

Hi. I recently joined Trumbull Canoe Trails, looking for some canoe and kayak buddies to help share the shuttles. I live in Erie, PA. I just got the newsletter and noticed that most of the paddles are on Sunday. I'm a pastor and that rules out most of the trips you have planned.

I would like to connect with some folks who would be interested in paddling on Saturdays, or who have the availability of going mid-week. I'm anxious to try some of the water in Ohio, and would love to share some of the streams and rivers in PA that I'm aware of.

Would love to hear back from anyone interested.
~ kayakbob92755

jerry lyda 03-12-2013 10:27 AM

Slippery rock

I will be there . Let me know if u need a trailer

AVMastro 03-12-2013 01:36 PM

Hi my name is Andrew and I recently purchased my first kayak. I wanted to see if I could join the club and how I can get involved in these trips.

redntall74 03-13-2013 04:21 PM

Linda and I are looking forward to it.:41:
Andrew just be there and join then. Very informal.

kerrydido 03-15-2013 08:52 PM

:41: water level looks good see you sunday