Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   French Creek, May 20 (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1165)

EAR 05-12-2018 01:27 PM

French Creek, May 20

Hi everybody. We will be doing a paddle down the beautiful French Creek from Utica to Franklin on Sunday May 20. We'll meet at the boat launch on Elk St in Franklin about 10am. From there we will try to take as few cars as possible up to Utica. The launch in Utica has been much improved with a more defined parking lot that has been graveled and the cement launch pad has been cleaned up. The downside is that it's a smaller area to park in.
The water level (2ft min) shouldn't be a problem because it looks like rain on and off during the week. It was 2.8 yesterday when I went up there. I'll keep an eye on it this week. We can always paddle the Allegheny if it drops too low on the French.
I won't cancel the run because of rain, but I would for thunderstorms. Again, I'll keep an eye on weather and make the call later in the week. Check back in on Saturday for any updates.
Questions? Call or text to 330-423-7316

EAR 05-12-2018 01:44 PM

shuttle anyone??

I did talk to the local outfitter up there, OARS, on Friday. He gave me a price of $20 per boat to take us up to Utica. It would save us an hour of time after the run, but is it worth it to you? It really doesn't matter to me, but it might be nice not to make that run back to get cars. Now, I'm not on facebook , but this guy (JB) says he is a "friend" on our site. Maybe someone can ask him if he'd give a friend a better deal!! Also, he has camping spots there if you want to go that route. oarsontheallegheny.com for info
Let me know.

KenM 05-13-2018 10:26 AM

French Creek 5-3-15

The last French Creek trip was 5-3-15. Gage was 3.2 ft. Trip from Utica to park on Allegheny was 11.3 miles.

As I recall it was a hot day. After the paddle, on the shuttle back to get cars, I found out that we paddled past and a short walk away from the ice cream store!!
--------------------------------------

Question... Is the "new" launch site small enough that having a paid shuttle makes more sense if parking is limited?

Looking at the gage (after this current rain) and more showers this week...low water may not be an issue. Ref: Western PA paddle book says 1.6 to 5.5 ft.

KenM

Mary Kane 05-14-2018 06:04 PM

French Creek Sun. 20th

Please count me (and my little red Dagger) "IN" on the French Creek. Eddie - I'll chip-in for gas if I could ride with you . . . just let me know what time to be at your place to load (I can do it the day or night before, too). Thanks!!

suram 05-17-2018 08:46 AM

I'm planning to go as long as the water isn't too high.

mfdanko99 05-17-2018 07:07 PM

Jess & I will be there ( I GET TO PADDLE THE CANOE!!!!!)with Jessica's help

brucea 05-18-2018 07:03 AM

Dianne and I plan to be there.

Bruce A.

kerrydido 05-18-2018 03:29 PM

Kerry and Si are planning on being there!

EAR 05-19-2018 09:23 AM

It's A Go

Looks like it will be just good enough to get a run in on Sunday. Water level is around 4ft at Utica with near normal flow so we should get a swift ride and be able to use all the different channels that this river has to offer. We may get a little rain, so pack rain gear.
In order to be able to get the least amount of cars at the launch I'm asking if some of you could drop boats off in Utica before going to Franklin. I'll be dropping off mine there about 9:30 and Mary will be watching the boats. She just don't know that yet! I'll bring my trailer to Franklin to load up more boats and people to shuttle back to the launch.
Ok, see you in the morning. Ed

SOS57 05-19-2018 11:22 AM

Plan to see you there.