Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Unofficial) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Beaver Creek (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1204)

EAR 09-08-2018 02:35 PM

Beaver Creek

With all the heavy rain coming down now, it look like we might be able to do a late summer run on the Beaver Creek later this week. It might be a little tricky to hit just the right level as it will rise fast and drop as quickly. My comfort zone on Beaver is 3.5 to 4.5ft on the water gauge. I would be able to go morning or afternoon. Keep an eye on the level and contact me if you might like to do this. Looks like maybe Wednesday, Thursday?
Text me later in the week. Identify yourself in the message please.
Ed@ 330-423-7316

swampboy62 09-10-2018 08:48 AM

I made a quick run from the Mill down to Sprucevale yesterday (Sunday) in the heavy rain. The water came up about 9" during my paddle.

Very nice conditions, with no river wide strainers. The big midstream rock down from the Mill about a mile does have about 20 tons of wood snagged on it, but there is still passage to the right.

Steve Z

EAR 09-11-2018 06:11 PM

Looks like Thursday morning will be the best time to do this.

EAR 09-12-2018 02:50 PM

Thursday morning, 10:00am at Sprucevale. Water level should be about 4ft. A fun level, swift but not too hairy in the rapids. It's just nice to be able to do this without having to wear a wetsuit.

mfdanko99 09-12-2018 07:00 PM

I can't get off work :(
Wish I could have

Have fun
Mike

KenM 09-14-2018 09:32 AM

Trip Report - Little Beaver Creek 9-13-18

Four paddlers (two canoes and a kayak for those that keep count) made this mid-week late summer trip from Sprucevale to the Ohio River (11.3 mi). I'd venture to say this was a rare opportunity. It was pleasantly quiet trip with lots of birds to be seen.

Summer river levels around 3.0 ft (200 cfs) (Grimms gage) shot up to 10.9 ft (8810 cfs) on Monday following the heavy weekend rains. By Thursday morning for this trip the gage was 4.40 ft (827 cfs) and slowly dropping.

Interestingly, I had only done this trip once before 5/2016 with a gage of 4.3
ft. There was plenty of water for that trip. For this trip for the upper section down to Fredericktown seemed really low. I bumped along on the rocks in the shallow rapids and would have gotten stopped a couple of times had I not kept pushing myself. It's really hard to make graceful manuvers when you are pounding rocks! Below the ledge at Fredericktown, the North Fork was running strong and added a considerable amount of water. I found the section below Grimms Bridge to especially fun this trip. There seems to be a noticeable gradient on that stretch. There were several clear, fast running rapids with some nice sized waves to plow through.

Paddlers: Bruce and Diane, Ed and Ken.

Thanks to Ed for suggesting this paddle.

-KenM