Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Beaver Creek 4-23-17 (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1046)

mfdanko99 04-19-2017 04:49 AM

Beaver Creek 4-23-17

Little Beaver Creek- Trip Leader Mike Danko

When- Sunday April 23rd

Where- 12905 Sprucevale Rd, East Liverpool, OH 43920
(Beaver Creek State Park Primitive Campgrounds)
(Sprucevale Rd also goes by County Rd 428)

GPS 40.70586, -80.580351

Time- 10:30 am

Beaver Creek is one of my favorite trips of the year because I grew up paddling this section and camping at Sprucvale.
We will paddle from Sprucvale to the Lock 57 Community Launch in Ohioville PA.
This section is about 11 miles, but with the current it isn?t a hard; but a fun 11 miles.

Beaver Creek is known for its many class I riffles and two class II rapids as well as the scenic views.
Right after the St Rt 170 Bridge is the first class II rapid (Eagle Rapid). The second is after Grimm?s bridge.
I advise everyone to bring a skirt to help stay dry. ALso a extra set of clothes is advised in a dry bag. Pack a lunch as we will stop near the middle to relax and stretch.
Any questions please email me at mfdanko99@yahoo.com
Or call 330-766-3129

Mike Danko

mfdanko99 04-20-2017 07:12 AM

I am watching the USGS Beaver Creek gauge very closely. zero paddle is 3ft and under.

I would like to see the level no higher than 5ft for a official club run. I have learned my lesson from past years
Wednesday at 8am 5.08 ft and rising

Mike

richpinky 04-20-2017 08:17 PM

6 pm 4/20 and rolling up thru 6 feet ! relax Mike they go up and down pretty quick, we will be lucky if by Sunday we have enough water :)

KenM 04-21-2017 10:29 AM

I've wanted to do this creek for years. I thought this might be my chance but now even with the level dropping some I think this may be more than I care to do?

edit 4/22 I took a ride over to LBC Friday afternoon to take a look. Gage was about 4.9 ft. At Fredrickstown the water was moving pretty swift and choppy but looked doable (for me). I could see a path down through the rapids... if I could find it. Of course, I don't know what surprises there are downstream. Ha. I may give it a try. Get those throw ropes ready.

Fredrickstown looks to be one of the most (paddler) unfriendly areas I've seen. It's almost impossible to find a place to park. Just a couple of spots upstream of the bridge. In "town" every possible spot is marked private/ no parking/keep out. Even the couple of churches there have no parking/violators will be prosecuted signs up. KenM-

swampboy62 04-21-2017 11:59 AM

Water level is dropping pretty steadily, and will likely be at around 800 cfs for the trip. That isn't high by any means.

If the bottom section doesn't make if for you at that level, try doing the smaller, more intimate upper section by putting in at the boat ramp at Elkton and taking out at the Mill or Sprucevale. Nothing even class II on that section at 800 cfs.

Heading up to Venango County myself, hoping that some of the downpour they had last night sticks around till Saturday. Might be another East Sandy trip, but that's always fun anyways.

Steve Z

kerrydido 04-22-2017 03:27 PM

me and my dad si and a couple of buddies will see you tomorrow! looking forward to it!

richpinky 04-22-2017 09:35 PM

Kerry, Good to hear from you, we were wondering when we would see you and Si ! I will be there tomorrow also

mfdanko99 04-22-2017 09:44 PM

I am excited to see everyone
tomorrow, water level will be a great level, we will be just above 4ft.

JPTolson 04-22-2017 11:41 PM

Sorry I can't maKe the Beaver Creek trip tomorrow, especially since the river should be a really nice level. Hope everyone has a blast.
JP

BOBK 04-23-2017 07:36 PM

JP...Perfect weather, good water level, and a great group of paddlers. You missed a terrific day on Beaver Creek.