Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pittsburgh Paddle 2019 (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1308)

Ambridger 09-02-2019 10:06 PM

Pittsburgh Paddle 2019

Pittsburgh Paddle:

Sunday, Sept 15, 10:30 am

Meeting at Southside Riverfront Park ( 12 South 18th Street, Pittsburgh PA 15203 )

We will drop boats at Southside Riverfront Park, then shuttle vehicles to Millvale Riverfront Park, which will be our take-out location. We will launch onto a section of river that we have not paddled in any of our previous Pittsburgh paddles. We will be going down the Monongahela River for two miles to the confluence of the three rivers, where we will reach Point State Park. Before turning up the Allegheny, we will attempt to stop briefly on the ramp at Heinz Field – there is a 1:00 Steeler home game – it should be a festive atmosphere on the north shore that day. There are restrooms near-by at the Carnegie Science Center. We will continue up the Allegheny for three miles to our take-out at Millvale. We have launched our trips out of Millvale in the past.

After the paddle we can visit one of Pittsburgh’s wonderful eateries.

I am asking that everybody wear a PFD, as much of the riverbank is vertical concrete wall along the river in the city. You should have your safety whistle, as the water police may be out-and-about due to the Steeler game. Also, please let me know if you are coming – and if you plan to dine afterwards, such that I can give the restaurant some idea of how many to expect. You can simply reply in this thread.

Traffic in and around the city is generally pretty light on Sunday mornings, but you may encounter some game-day traffic. If using the PA turnpike, exit at Cranberry onto I-79 south to Neville Island (Exit 65), then (right) onto PA 51 south to the 837 split - just before the West End Bridge. Follow PA 837 south into “The Southside”, until you make a left onto South 18th Street, follow S 18th all the way to the river. That route should keep you away from stadium traffic. There are no significant road construction concerns that I am aware of at this time. Feel free to give me a call or text if you want or need additional info … 724-601-9801.

mfdanko99 09-03-2019 08:42 AM

I will be there 😁
Will get news letter out tonight 9-3

suram 09-03-2019 10:29 AM

Sorry I won't be able to make this. Have fun!

SOS57 09-03-2019 02:25 PM

Pittsburgh Paddle 2019

I'm planning to make this. Count me as 1 for both.

DawnD28 09-03-2019 02:34 PM

I'm in for paddling and food as long as the weather holds out. I'm not big on paddling in the rain. haha

JABussard 09-09-2019 09:34 PM

Pittsburgh Paddle

Please put 2 down for both activities! Thank you.

mfdanko99 09-19-2019 06:25 PM

Trip REVIEW

Many thanks goes to Mark Vallecorsa as TCT made the trek from one former steel town to another for a great day in Pittsburgh. We had 10 paddlers (9 kayaks & 1 Canoe) make the 6.18 mile paddle down the Monongahela to the point and back up the Allegheny river. It was easy to find the launch and meet up. The shuttle to the take out wasn't as bad as you would think.

We had a couple nice surprises on our voyage. The first is a new member Judy who lives an hour east of Pittsburgh and paddles with the Morgantown WV club. She is looking to start paddling more in Western PA and Northeast Ohio.

The second surprise was the fly over for the Steelers football game. Several times we had Blackhawk helicopters fly over us. Here to find out Judy's daughter was on one of the choppers.

We took a nice and fun break in front of Heinz field and several of us went and found a restroom. One the way we got some odd looks for wearing a life vest into a bar and then getting checked for beer in a water bottle. Tom was able to chug a beer down before we left.

Everyone helped each other out at the take out and then several of us made our way to Big Jims restaurant that was featured on Diner-Drive in & Dives TV show for some great food and fun conversation.

Thanks again Mark

Mike