Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Conneaut Creek Sunday March 24 (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=542)

justbrad 03-05-2013 06:59 PM

Conneaut Creek Sunday March 24

We will put in at the covered bridge on State Road at 11:00 and will take out at the covered bridge on Creek Road. It is about a 7-8 mile trip through a beautiful gorge, much like the Grand River. There are a number of 6-12" ledges that we will be passing over, so you will get wet. The water is also likely to be cold, so please dress accordingly.

To get to the put-in, go west on Hatches Corners Road, which is about 2.5 miles south of Interstate 90. Stay on this road for 2.4 miles, then turn right (North) on State Road and go 0.2 miles down the hill to the bridge.

e-mail me at justbrad10@yahoo.com or call me at 814-456-3626 if you plan on attending.

richpinky 03-20-2013 09:24 PM

Brad,
I will try to make it to this run ,but don't wait for me. I am camping with the Boy Scouts this weekend and cannot leave New Springfield untill the last scout is picked up on Sunday morning. Hope to be there.
Rich Allen

mfdanko99 03-21-2013 07:05 PM

For anyone who is not sure where the put-in is.
On Sunday I am meeting Ron at 9:30am at the rest stop on RT 11 which is north of RT 322 and south of RT 6.

Maybe we can car pool, but no matter what I will be at the rest stop at 9:30 am

Mike Danko

clipper1 03-23-2013 11:08 AM

Sunday March 24th

Brad, Planning on being there even if I leave fiberglass and gelcoat on all those ledges, definitely a trip right for a plastic "buttboat". Looking forward to being on the water again. :11::11:

EAR 03-23-2013 01:37 PM

Hey Brad, I'll be up there Sunday. I won't be bringing my trailer 'cause I just cleaned it up, painted it and put new lights it and I don't want drag it down those dirt roads the first time out!!!
See ya,
Ed

justbrad 03-23-2013 05:25 PM

conditions are favorable

Ran over to take a look at creek earlier today. Water flow is strong and free of ice. Was hoping that the sun would have melted some more snow to bring the level up a bit, but mother nature did not cooperate. So, might scrape in a few places, but overall should be a good float. The scenery through the gorge is beautiful. Be warned though that the road to the takeout is in terrible shape due to mud and potholes. I will explore an alternate route that is more vehicle friendly.

mfdanko99 03-24-2013 07:01 AM

If anyone gets this in time, I am unable to go. I got called into work again.

If someone could please be at the rest stop on RT 11 north of 322 to meet ron at 9:30 am.
I try to call him but he already left.

Sorry Mike Danko:17:

justbrad 03-26-2013 07:38 PM

Trip report

Seven hardy souls made the trip on Conneaut Creek this past Sunday - three canoes and four kayaks. The water level was 1.46 feet and the stream flow was 254 cfs. We scraped a little, but nobody got hung up. Ideal conditions would be about 2.0 feet, which is the normal level for this time of year, and which would really make the many ledges on this stream come to life. But the scenery was beautiful (see the great pictures Rich C posted on the user album tab).

We covered a total of 14.7 miles according to Paul's GPS app (which was longer than originally advertised due to a last minute change in the take out - Center Road instead of Creek Road - and because I underestimated the original trip distance by a good 3 miles).

jimbo 03-27-2013 03:56 AM

Very scenic trip, thanks Brad!