Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Paddling Discussion (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   June 9th paddle. (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1168)

BOBK 05-16-2018 06:53 AM

June 9th paddle.

Not worth all the stress, work, and risk involved while FOMR reaps the credit and profit....WITHDRAW.
I urge fellow TCT members to express their opinion.

Ambridger 05-16-2018 08:04 AM

I'm trying to be level-headed about much of this, and I sense that a divide is growing between our two organizations. I believe that so long as our name (TCTC) is included in advertisements and publications for the event, I believe it is still to our benefit to participate.

I would be in favor of us having even more of a presence at the event; possibly having an area set aside for us to host water safety lectures. Also, if there is something our club could do at the event to help raise funds for the club, I would possibly be in favor of that as well. I'm not sure what the regulations are in Ohio concerning raffles, but maybe we could sell chances to win a kayak (that hopefully a business would sell to us at a discount for this purpose) and PFD (being the safety minded club that we are).

Also, I would like TCTC to begin to consider possibly hosting a community event of our own; while maintaining our role in the FOM event. Finding a place along the river (Newton Falls? / Warren?) with adequate parking, and not duplicating the FOM event (theme and location) would be two priorities. Possibly holding a river race, or possibly an outdoor expo of sorts - involving all sorts of outdoor businesses & pursuits - hiking / biking / kayak - canoe - SUP / camping ...

I think this is food for thought, and probably great debate. I hope debate leads to harmony and unity, and not strife. Paddle sports are becoming increasingly popular, and I believe we may capture on that opportunity, but it will take a lot of work.

In terms of the June 9 paddle, I believe it is still the right thing to do. We are not just there for our own enjoyment, but also as guardians of the public and proponents of our sport and the waterways - fulfilling the mission of our club.

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success" Edward Everett Hale

Mark

mfdanko99 05-16-2018 11:36 AM

Mark makes a great point. JP emailed me a great solution to my problem, and I will post soon as I can and send a email.
Thank you JP, Bob and Mark

Ambridger 05-16-2018 06:27 PM

With the dedication of the Girard launch, and the possibility of a large turn-out of potentially inexperienced paddlers, I think reaching out to the local fire departments - specifically ones that have water rescue capabilities - would be appropriate. I would ask that they stage some resources in areas of concern. Also, I think we should enlist assistance from ODNR as well. This has become more than just a FOM / TCTC event, specifically this year; this has become a community event, and we may need community resources.

The mayor of Girard is obviously involved, so maybe he can help with the FD involvement, and I'm hoping we made some ODNR friends during the paddle last year, whom we can rely on.

I would like to see a pre-paddle "meet & discuss" with TCTC, FOM, FDs, and ODNR, assuming we can get them all involved. Also, I feel FOM needs to get on the river in the days leading to the paddle to ensure a clear pathway, and cut away obstruction / strainers.

My initial reply, earlier today, was made while at work, where I have no access to my personal e-mail.

swampboy62 05-17-2018 08:52 AM

It might be that I shouldn't butt in, as I'm not a member and not informed about the situation - just an interested bystander local paddler...

I'm part of the effort to help Trumbull Metroparks raise awareness for a possible parks tax levy in 2019. The park I volunteer at (North Road Nature Preserve) is working towards putting on an event at the park in 2019, with the goal of letting people know what we have to offer now, and what more COULD be done with levy funds.

Could it be possible for TCTC to discuss with Trumbull Metroparks the possibility of doing something similar, revolving around the Mahoning River and the associated Trumbull Metroparks facilities, with the side benefit of getting TCTC's name out there a little bit more?

The next meeting for levy discussion is Wed. May 23 at KSU Trumbull.

Steve Z

Ambridger 05-17-2018 11:00 AM

Steve, we clearly have a lot to think about, both in the near future, and in the more distant future as well. I think the parks are indeed in need of more financial support. I would encourage you to become a member of TCTC and come to some of our events, and join the discussion. We do hold 4 meetings per year, and I believe the next will be at our club pic-nic in July.

mfdanko99 05-17-2018 07:06 PM

I have to agree with mark, at this time I don't see TCTC being able to fully go that yet.
Zack & I have talked and I have some good notes from Huge at the Shenango River Watchers on how they handle there river paddles.
The section that would be suited is Swift park to Canoe City.
Mike