Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Fall Color Paddle (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1105)

mfdanko99 10-16-2017 08:33 PM

New Fall Color Paddle

Fall Color Paddle 2.0

When- Sunday October 22nd

Where- Thomas Swift Metro Park 870 Benedict-Leavittsburg Road, Leavittsburg, OH 44430

GPS-41.239336, -80.917783

Time 12 noon

It is the end of October and the scenery is so pretty this time of year. Unfortunately the Shenango River is on the low side.
So on to Plan B.
I figured we try something a little different on a section we haven't been on in a long time.
A simple up and back, from Thomas Swift Park. The Mahoning is also at it's lower level and there very little current going up stream.
I would like to paddle 3 miles up river to the Riverview Golf Course and then come back to make a nice easy and very scenic paddle for the end of October.
This is a nice and easy paddle for all skill levels.

With the forecast in the 70's and no rain. With the up and back paddle I am going to stay and cook on the grill at Swift Park with the left over charcoal we have and left over supply from the club picnic. I will bring a pack of hotdogs and buns.

If you wish to stay for a make shift picnic please bring something and we will eat together.
Please Post what you will bring on the TCT form so we know who is bring what.

Please & Thank you
Mike Danko

On a side note the Shenango River Watcher are having there paddle from the PV Dam to Greenville on Saturday. That section is dam controlled and released at the PV Dam. The dam will be opening for the paddle and closing right after per the Army Corp.

The lower Shenango is controlled by the Shenango Reservoir in Sharpsville. Same river but two different ways of controlling it that can have very different levels.
Good Call Jim

Ambridger 10-21-2017 09:56 AM

Jodi and I will be there. We'll bring some perogies.

MarkinCortland 10-22-2017 09:47 AM

Food

Bringing hamburgers buns cookies pop ketchup mustard cheese

mfdanko99 10-25-2017 04:31 PM

What a beautiful day we had on the mahoning river. We had 14 paddles (13 kayaks 1 Canoe) take to the water for a up and back trip from Thomas Swift park. We paddle 3 mile up river to river view golf course and back.

The really exciting part was seeing a total of 3 river otters during the trip. One was even playing with Stan's paddle and he got pictures. I doubled chck and they weren't must rats at all and even looked up pictures on line and they were river otters. Looks like the old dirty mahoning is making a strong comeback.

As we return to Swift park we where greeted by John Paul and Mrs Tolson.

It was great to see JP and his mom out and about.

After the paddle a group of 9 stayed and had a feast for a last second picnic. We had hamburgers, hotdogs, bratwurst, pirogies, bake beans, and so many little snacks.

We arrived around noon and I didn't leave until 5:45 pm from Swift Park that made a great fall color paddle event.

Thanks to all who came and so many were missed on a great paddle.

Mike

KenM 10-28-2017 01:09 PM

from KenM Missed this one.

Cheryl and I had a good 5 mile walk this day up in Cuyahoga Valley. Would have liked to paddle also. Had to pick one over the other. I am disappointed however to have missed a sighting of river otters. Equally disappointing was having missed the sighting of Mrs. Tolson! I had to wonder if anyone counted how many hot dogs she ate ??

-Ken