Thread: Friday 13
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
debra witowski

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Red face report on Cuyagoha River

The train shuttle was 6 dollars, much discussion on how much it would be for a kayak because canoes are 7$. I did the river from Pennsulia to Rockside station. I put in below a small dam in Pennsulia at the back of the parking lot. The first 3 miles were great, lots of easy rapids or drops, and the river ran nice. Then I got to the work the next couple of miles were like paddling a dryed lake bottom, big wide sand and gravel beaches, and downed trees in the current were the river made big oxbows since I was by myself I portaged alot,I do not like to get unseated by trees.There still was enough water it was just full of downed trees. The the river went into a still section before the dam, the dam was a very easy portage I used the bike trail, and there were people there fishing. Then back to the oxbows with the trees in the current. Paddle and drag.I paddle about 1/2 mile through no current then come to oxbow with current full of trees with wide beaches. I had friends that went along and biked, the only place they figured for me to get out was the parking lot of Lock Keeper Resturant which had valets, they were amused by the sight of a kayak coming out of the river. I saw the most wildlife I ever seen on a kayak trip. An otter out during the day swam over and checked me out, 2 different beavers slapped thier tails at me. 4 deers swimming, 12 deer in all and velvet buck, lots of wood duck,herons, black ducks, swallows going in a out of those holes in river bank , 1 loon , muskrats, and fish, frogs and turtles. The bald eagle was busy posing for the people in the train.
debra witowski is offline   Reply With Quote