View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
paul isaac

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Big Neshannock Creek 5/4/14

Looks like the Kamikazi [devine] winds are going to save some wear on some boats.

WE will meet at the put-in to set up shuttle at 10:30. Mapquesting Mayville Pa should put a flag on the map with-in 50yds. of Alduk boat launch [not found on internet].

The address is;

2841 state highway 956
Volant Pa 16156

This creek has a pretty even gradient and has a good current the hole way. The trip is 10.27 miles long with an expected moving time of two hours. We will be taking a shore lunch so bring a snack.
The take out will be The Towne Mall in New Castle. Both put-in and take-out are quite handy to parking. I have to say the trip is class l though some bends may be sharp. Expect some splashing from wave trains and irregular waves from shallow rock gardens, therefor I recommend a skirt and gear to stay dry.

For anyone who wants to run the gorge show up at 9;30 and please bring a brain bucket. The gorge has 8 class ll rapids, with four said to be tougher. I will attest to one being quite technical for a class ll. In low water it has several sharp turns and a drop that will put water in your cockpit. In higher water it has a hole that becomes fairly sticky.

If you need any more info my Number is 724-730-6351

ps I paddled the gorge in very low water today and found it had no significant wood problems.
paul isaac is offline   Reply With Quote