Thread: Hello New guy!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Hey Erik!

Good to hear you're still paddling! I kind of faded out of whitewater for a couple of years and focused on mountain biking, but I miss it a lot and hope to get in some local runs this year.

Bear Creek has been on my mind lately with the rain events we've had. That creek is just a lot of fun! Deer Creek is another one I'm waiting to get back on.

Never heard of Silver Creek - I had to check out the Garrettsville area on hillmap to find it! But if you register with American Whitewater you can add it to the river info pages, and that will at least give people a reference if they're interested in running it. Do you have a gauge correlation with Eagle Creek for runnable levels?

Also never heard of Big Creek - looks interesting. Do you know anything about Mill Creek that drains into the Grand River at Hogback Ridge Metropark? It looks interesting, and the birdseye view on Bing Maps shows a mess of rapids.

I'm hoping to get in a lower Slip run pretty soon. It's been a while, so I'm waiting for the levels to drop to 'tame'. Might be able to pull it off this weekend, but more likely next. I will try to remember to post it up before hand.

And Mill Creek in Mill Creek Park is off limits. I don't agree with this, and am not sure it's even legal for a local park district to declare a public waterway off limits. Nevertheless you can get ticketed for paddling there. It's really a shame too - Mahoning County's only whitewater is verboten. Goes well with the fact that Mahoning County also has zero miles of legal mountain bike trails.

Steve Z

Last edited by swampboy62; 05-30-2014 at 07:33 AM.
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote