View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Grand Cancelled

In past years we would have killed for more water on the Grand River. I was hoping for a little bit of rain to keep it above 4ft.
I never saw this coming. As of Friday night the Grand is at 7.5ft at USGS and rising. At 8 ft it will be flood stage.

Sunday isn't a total wash. I am looking at four other possibilities.
I am watching the Shenango River from Pymatuning dam to Greenville PA.
This section is damned controlled with no major contributes until after Greenville.

In October 2015 we did this section at 5.95 and I have notes saying it was a great trip. As of Friday night it is 5.24ft USGS gauge but climbing.

The other section is the Beaver River. Start on the Mahoning in Edinburg Pa and take out at Bevington Boat Launch just north of Wampum PA. Once you leave the Mahoning and enter the Beaver River it is wide and pretty straight to wampum.
I did this section back in 2014 at 8ft in a canoe with no problems
As of Friday night the USGS at Wampum is 8.21 but rising.

The other two possibilities and most likely to happen is paddling at Newport Lake in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown. The lake was opened for the season March 1st. I called and talk to an official and said we are more than welcome to paddle it.

The last option I am thinking of and can't believe I am is the northern section of Mosquito Lake. Put in at St Rt. 88 and paddle under the causeway up to Jan's campground and back. That is my last choice.

Part of me wants to relive the 2011 Beaver Creek trip of a USGS gauge of 8.9 ft. One of the best trips I will ever have. Not sure who else would be up for that side trip? It was crazy high but crazy fun. Jerry Lyda has some great pictures from that paddle in April 2011.

I will keep everyone up to date and hope we all can get in to a boat on Sunday as it is calling for a great day in the High 50's

Mike Danko
ps any other idea's let me know
330-766-3129 call or text or email me
at tctnewsletter@gmail.com
or mfdanko99@yahoo.com

I will send another email out tomorrow afternoon and see what might work.

PS thank you to JP for getting me in the habit of keeping notes on past paddles so I know what to look for. THANK YOU

Last edited by mfdanko99; 03-31-2017 at 09:42 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote