Thread: YSU Membership
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
BOBK

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

An infusion of new paddlers should be welcomed. JohnPaul, Mike, and myself are recent members and have been welcomed with open arms. We should extend the same courtesy to any new members no matter what circumstances they enter on. The addition of probably young first time paddlers would be good for the organization, under member or non-member status. I don't think anyone would mind providing advice to novice paddlers, some of who would probably join us permanently. Enlisting new members is why Ray has one of trips tied to the Mill Creek paddle, (that's how kayaking started for me.) JP and ED will please note: 26 KAYAKS.
As to the liability issue, we may be over reacting. Non-profit status may exclude liability, or their YSU waiver should exempt us, but I'm no attorney. Sounds like they have the transportation problem solved or at least under control.
If we decide to accept membership with the $500.00, we could always donate all or some of the money to a charity, or have one of the participating student paddlers receive a $500.00 (or less) scholarship grant from Trumbull Canoe Trails, both parties benefit.
I agree that we need to discuss this at the Dec. 5th Chilly Chili paddle.