View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Oil Creek Paddle

Oil Creek -Titusville PA.

When-Sunday, April 7th

Where- Jersey Bridge Titusville PA (you can look up Jersey Bridge Titusville on Google)
The Bridge is on E Bloss St which turns in to Allen St, then turn is to Drake Well Rd.
Total length of this road is 1 mile from State Route 8

GPS 41°36′55″N 79°39′27″W

Time-11 am

Total Mileage of Paddle- 10 Miles

This will be my first time paddling this creek and several weeks ago a small group of us went up and found the put in and take out. Oil Creek is described as a beginners creek under normal conditions. On the USGS gauge at Rouseville PA the minimal level is 2.7 ft for most boats but a two man canoe they recommend 3 ft. For Ohio residents make sure your registrations are current with stickers in the correct places. For PA residents
DCNR posts the following information:
Non-powered boats must display one of the following: boat registration; launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks, available at most state park offices; launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

Bring a packed lunch as we stop just down stream of millers farm. With a short walk up a side creek we will be able to access the bike trail with a port-a-john near by.
I am very excited to paddle this creek as it is the heart of this region much like the mahoning is the heart of the steel valley.

Directions to Jersey Bridge Put-in (from Warren, OH to Jersey Bridge takes me 1.5 hrs.)
The way I will be going is
-Interstate 80 East in to PA
-Get off at the State Route 8 (Franklin PA) exist.
-Follow St Rt. 8 North into Franklin.
-Follow St Rt. 8 through Franklin
- Stay on St Rt. 8 as you leave Franklin and head towards the town of Oil Creek. ( the Allegheny River will be to your right as you head towards Oil Creek)
-When you arrive at Oil Creek, St Rt. 8 will make a left and head north.
-From Oil Creek to East Bloss rd it is about 14 miles on St. Rt 8.
-As you come to Titusville you will see E Bloss rd and turn right on to E Bloss rd. (if you pass E Bloss road you will go over the creek and see a McDonald's on your right)
-Once on E Bloss rd follow it for 1 mile.
-Right before the bridge is a parking area on the right side of the road for bike riders and canoe launch.

If Oil Creek is to low or to high then our back up plan is to paddle the Allegheny River from Justice Park in Oil Creek to Franklin Pa were we take out for the French creek trip. That section is about 8 miles.
If you have any questions please call or text me at 330-766-3129.
If you are plan on attending please let me know on the forum on the website or by phone or text.
Thank you
Mike Danko