View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2019 Paddling Year in Review

TCT,
As we have noted here since 2011, the end of the year is a good time to reflect on the paddling season. I hope a few club members will be willing to share some of their paddling experiences during 2019. It is always fun to read others' adventures on the water and good for club morale. Below are my high points and low point from a limited number of outings. Happy New Year and good paddling to all in 2020!

JP

High Points

1. Buckaloons Camper – What a great weekend! The water, weather, and camping were outstanding! Rich, Patty, and Dee Dee did a superb job organizing and preparing the food and the paddling. I personally logged about 25 miles on the Allegheny over two days. The camaraderie around the dining table and the campfire, complete one night with a lively discussion of the cross bow draw, was terrific.

2. North Fork of Little Beaver Creek – This scores high because of the beautiful scenery on a beautiful early spring day and because it was a personal first descent of any stretch of this river. It was neat to see The Tubs, a class 3-4 rapid (all of us carried it) and fun to run the class 2 rapids shortly down river before the confluence with the main stem.

3. Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek – For some reason I am fascinated with the hard-to-catch run from Teegarden to Lisbon. Stan and I hooked up with a trip sponsored by the Columbiana County Park District on a beautiful morning in May. We were on the water by 9:30 and often heading into the morning sun that set the water shimmering. The sun on the water combined with the soft green hues of spring along the banks were beautiful.

Low Point

1. WE MISSED THE TAKE OUT!!! After over 40 years of paddling, what new mistakes could be left to make? Well, I found out on the Allegheny River run from Betts Park in Warren, PA, to Buckaloons Campground. Mary and I were chatting and enjoying the beautiful day, but obliviously glided past the access ramp where we were supposed to take out for lunch and decide who wanted to paddle another 12 miles to the next public access ramp. (The rest of the group had taken another channel around an island so we were separated from them.) It wasn't until about a mile later that Mary's phone rang. It was Sue telling us that we had MISSED THE TAKE OUT! We were now committed to those 12 miles whether we wanted to be or not! We could offer several explanations for such a boneheaded brain cramp (and did), but we are happy that it provided three or four hearty guffaws to everyone on the Buckaloons Camper. We're sure it will live on for quite some time in TCT history and continue to produce lots of laughs.

Last edited by JPTolson; 01-03-2020 at 10:48 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote