View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

2019 had many up's and downs for me.
*High Points-
1-Club trip on Oil Creek
Oil Creek has been on my list to paddle for a long time. We were able to make it a club trip and it turned out to be a great day with just enough water to get down. A great turn out 28 paddlers made the trek to Titusville PA

2-Clarion River- Jessica and myself finally made it on the clarion river. This was our second time paddling this river. We did two paddles in two days. Day one was 18 miles from Ridgeway to Irwin Run with all four major rapids (Trestle, X, Y & Z)
Day two we had Rich Allen join us for a great 11 mile trip from Clear Creek State Park to Cooksburg

3-North Fork Of Little Beaver Creek- A small group Ron, JP, Bruce, Diane, Jessica and myself did a scouting trip and I finally got to see the famous "tubs" on the creek. A true class III or IV which none of us ran. The mile section of Class II's afterwards was really fun and gave me more solo canoe experience.

4-Beaver Creek at 5 ft. usgs gauge - A great trip with higher water levels with a great group. This trip had many challenges that made me work as a solo canoe. The best part was running eagle rapid about 5 times.

5-Buckaloons Camping- I made it up on Saturday afternoon because of work, but a great time with everyone and enjoyed a great selection of food and an awesome campfire discussion. We had a great paddle on Sunday and it was just great to spend time with my paddling family.
PS JP look out for the bridge-take out just past it river right :)

6-Whitewater through Kent- In June I was able to make several trips through the whitewater section of the Cuyahoga River in Kent. It is only a mile trip so walking back up with a boat can be extremely hard.Came up with a solution were I paddled every boat I have through it that made it fun. Also had Tim join me the one evening after work and paddle the same section as many times as we could with the all boats we have

7-Pittsburgh Paddle to the Point- A great club trip that allowed us to meet a new member who lives east of the Pittsburgh. We also a great time with the military helicopters that flew over us several times as they were getting ready for the fly over for the Steelers game. Having lunch in front of Heinze field during a game was a blast as we walked around in our paddling gear and getting some odd looks.

Low Points
1-Very little whitewater- 2019 wasn't good to Jessica and myself for whitewater- We never could catch the Connie, Neshannock Creek Lower Slippery Rock Creek or my Favorite Ashtabula River.
Jessica and myself had to cancel our trip to South Bend Indiana to paddle the east raceway white water course due to bladder infection and truck breaking down.

2-Carnage on Little Beaver Creek-On the same trip that had so many highs it had a huge low point. First my go pro wasn't working right. Then my first flip that actually put some fear into me and taught me a good lesson, and realize I need to keep practicing my crossbow draw. All I could hear was Ron's voice that kept me calm and helped me stay focus and get out from underneath the canoe with no injury's, But my canoe and life jacket took a beating. Video on Youtube

3-Canceling Club Trip on Little Beaver Creek- Sprucevale was not open yet due to the construction of the new bridge.

4-Canceling Riverfest- TCT gives free rides to the public during riverfest in Youngstown. But due to extremely high water we weren't able to give any rides. We did have a nice turn out of club members to help work out booth

Hope for a great and fun 2020

Last edited by mfdanko99; 12-31-2019 at 05:41 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote