Thread: Presque Isle
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default A few photos posted (and a Lake Erie primer)

Thanks to Dustin the photo albums are working again.

Boy, was this ever a windy paddle. I was a bit mystified that when we got to the bridge close to Marina Bay that there was so little clearance underneath that Mike elected to stop there (and not scrape off his hat). Just as well as I think it got even more windy on the way back but at least it was pushing along.

I was more surprised when we got back to the launch. The spot were we launched had a 6" step down to the water. Coming back in it was 3" under water. And if you looked you could see water slowly coming up through the grass. The whole low-lying park area was filling with water.

I have little Lake Erie knowledge but I did know that wind can push the water to the shore. I had no idea how much! Of course Lake Erie is the worst because it is so shallow.

Wind will push water to one of the lake (set-up) and lower it on the other (set-down). When the wind stops there is an effect called a "seiche" (SAYSH) when the water sloushes back and forth in the lake until it settles back down. Could be 12 hours for one sloush. This can be dramatic. On 11-14-2003 the lake raised 5 ft in Buffalo NY and dropped 7 ft in Toledo, Oh.

Ref: google "seiches on the Great Lake" and select the same.

-Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote