View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAR View Post
This run definitely had a lot of the yee-haw factor in it!! I haven't been in water that fast or waves that big since being on the Cheat River in a raft. My big Mad River handled it pretty well, but I had my moments!! I didn't even know I had the fun until after I got through. But fun was short lived when you look around and see people in the water behind you and in front of you.
The water level was too high for a club run, in my opinion. I think Deb was right in her comment on another page that 6ft is about the highest level this should be run by the average paddler. It was nearly 9 for us.When half your group has been in the water, it's not a good day. When you have to use your throwbags multiple times, it's not a good day. And the situation with the kayak pinned against the log, nose first, was downright dangerous. Mike wrecked trying to help. John Paul swamped trying to help. How Jon got in there to help, I don't know.
Thank goodness for the big canoes on the last two run! I had to paddle back upstream and ferry across to pluck a stranded kayaker two weeks ago and John had to carry the kayaker back because of a lost paddle from the crash.
But the canoes were at a big disadvantage in the strong winds that would kick up. It was some hard work. But I didn't go in!!
I wouldn't mind doing the section again at a high level but without the wind and with out it being an official club run..
I agree with Ed that the water level was too high and significantly increased the risk for group safety. We were very fortunate that the pin situation worked out as well as it did. I think our future approach to trips with conditions like this deserves further consideration and discussion among club members.

That sobering assessment aside, the trip also provided some exhilaration for many as well as a few Keystone cops antics such as when I let go of BOTH ends of a throw bag when trying to get the rope out to swimmer and when the blustery winds blew my canoe back into the creek at the take out without anyone in it. Thanks again to John and Mike for chasing it down.

And, finally, I think that our experience on Little Beaver again points out the need and benefit of swift water rescue training. Although the club doesn't paddle particularly difficult rivers (Sunday was an exception), the knowledge gained from exposure to the techniques taught in these classes helps to increase our personal and collective skills on the water, and should make us a better and safer group of paddlers.

No doubt, we will remember the trip Sunday on Little Beaver Creek for a long time.

jp

Last edited by JPTolson; 04-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote