Thread: Advice on
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default PFDs

Welcome to Trumbull Canoe Trails!

I’ll try to answer your question on personal flotation devices (PFDs). Since I paddle a canoe, it’s more appropriate for a kayaker to address the question about paddles and racks.

The U.S. Coast Guard defines five classes PFDs. Most recreational paddlers use a type III PFD which is a front zip up vest. (One club member uses a type V which is designed to inflate.) There are many different manufacturers and designs of type III PFDs.

In my opinion, the most important features to look for are comfort, correct fit, and adequate buoyancy for your weight. The label should state how much weight the PDF will support and should indicate that it is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard.

For a correct fit, the jacket should be comfortable when snug and should not ride up over your ears when in water over your head. There should be multiple cinching straps along the sides to allow the wearer to tighten the fit of the jacket. There should be a clip at the bottom of the jacket for additional security. You can probably test this on land by getting someone to pull up on the shoulder straps to make sure the PDF does not ride up significantly.

Other features to consider are pockets and color. Multiple pockets are essential for me as I always carry a set of car keys and my wallet on my person while on the water. I like a bright color PFD for enhanced visibility.

Hope this helps get you started. I’m sure other club member can offer additional factors to consider. It’s always good to hear differing perspectives, thoughts, and insights.

Last edited by JPTolson; 03-26-2021 at 09:05 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote