View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default My take…

Some thoughts on the issue of the Marshall Street rapids...all my opinion and with all due respect to others…FULL DISCLOSURE: I have never paddled the line through the rapid on river left before or after its recent modification.

In my opinion, the Marshall Street rapids, created by a broken down dam, is one of the best features of the Mahoning River. Like most rapids, different lines were available to paddle through it depending on water level. At lower levels, paddlers used the route close to the shore on river right that features a prominent rock to avoid (or is it a piece of concrete from the dam?) in the middle of the line, but the slot close to the shore on river left was not runnable. At higher levels, both lines and another one closer to the middle of the river were runnable. Carrying around the rapids on the river left bank is most always an option at reasonable water levels for those who did not want to run the rapids.

Variable water levels are part of the sport of paddling. We adapt to them. We stay off the river when it is too high to be safe or too low to be pleasant. Experienced paddlers can practice and refine their ability to run Marshall Street rapids cleanly and make note of how different water levels change the character of the rapid. If a rapid is too difficult for a paddler’s skill level or if the water level makes it so, portaging or lining through are options. For a paddler who is unsure of their ability, scouting and discussing how to run it with a more experienced paddler is prudent.

I am not sure of the reason that the line on river left was modified so that it is now runnable at lower levels than it had been in the past. The river right line of Marshall Street rapids was not particularly dangerous in my opinion. The pool below makes it reasonably forgiving for swimmers to gather their boats and gear. Unless there was a compelling safety issue that endangered paddlers through the river right line, it is unclear why a line that was available at higher water was modified to provide an alternate line at lower levels and, from a report I have heard, impact the flow through the line on river right.

I have observed video of paddlers hitting the bridge abutment in the run out of the modified line. I have heard a report that there now seems to be less water available in the river right line making it more likely to hit rocks, and that ferrying across the run out on river left to reach the shore is more difficult due to the increased flow. If there was a compelling safety reason for this modification, it would be more understandable why it was done. If the modification was made to make the rapid easier, it is disappointing. Shouldn’t we work to improve our skills to run a rapid rather than altering a rapid to make it easier?

This issue could become a moot point if the old broken down dam is taken out as part of dam removal efforts along the river.

Last edited by JPTolson; 06-19-2023 at 01:33 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote