View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking

Many Thanks go to all who paddled the Cuyahoga River Sunday.
Everyone helped out and made a trip that could be tough into an easy one. Also thank you to Steve for his fruit buffet, it was good.

On Sunday we had 14 boats (3 canoe's & 11 kayaks) for a total of 16 paddlers. We had three guests Erin who paddle with us in the past, one of his friends and Jessica.

Doug (a 1981 grad of Champion) came down from the Cuyahoga Scenic Railroad to get pictures of the boats and paddlers in front of the train station. He was very excited to have us come up. Loading the boats on to the train was easy and then we learned that TCT had our own passenger car reserved for us.
After a nice train ride we unloaded the boats and had to carry them about a football field length to the put in. Everyone pitched in that made it easy. Again thank to everyone for the put in, it is a rough terrain with rocks, but going one by one in to the river made it easy and we all made ok.
The first three miles offered several class I and two class II rapids that were fun to run that only caused one carnage for Tom and his son Brian. After Lunch it was smooth paddling with very pretty views.
Thanks again to everyone for making the take out easier than what it could have been. Again team work was in full gear this trip.
Thanks to Jason Mulloy and his I phone I found out the section from Peninsula to Brecksville is 9 miles not 7.5 miles. Water level was up due to rain the night before that really made it a fun trip.
USGS Gage in Independence was 4.2 Ft. at 1360 CFS
Thanks again to everyone, would like to do this section again
Mike Danko
PS soon as my computer is fixed will post pictures.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote