View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Ashtabula River Review

The river god must have been on my side for once. I had Saturday Nov 28th off and got up and checked river levels.
I found Conneaut Creek at 2.98 ft. If I do the math right that means Ashtabula River should be runnable.
I packed up fast I as I could and headed north as Jessica was busy with Tori at agility.
I found Dewy Rd Gauge just below 1ft. On the low side but doable. I was so fired up since I haven't been on this river since 2018.
I had a friend run my shuttle and launched from Green Hill Rd bridge.
I took off like I do in my kayak going 90mph like my hair is on fire as I was so pumped up.
I ate a humble pie really quick as I flipped on the 3rd ledge drop which is a 2 ft drop.
Thank god for my air bags in the canoe as it kept it from filling up and easy to recover and get reorganized.
Once I got my head screwed on right and realized I have to think this river different than normal as I am solo canoeing & not in a whitewater kayak.

I finally started to do thing right and slow down and really read the water and lines for the other ledge drops. I slowed down in the rapids to keep better control of the canoe and make better decision as river levels were low down river.
I got out a scouted the the Ashtabula Water Slide and Dewy Rd Rapid.
Ashtabula water slide is a 5 ft slide and Dewey Rd Rapid is about a 4 or 5 foot drop/waterfall. I made both with no problems.
After that the river offers nonstop wave trains and rapid all the way to the haddock rd ford. I use to take out there for a short trip, but with the new bridge and they fenced it off like Fort Knox so know one can get to the river I portaged the ford.
The second half of the river is offers a lot of wave trains and rapids but a little more spaced out.
During this trip I had to use all of my stokes and even did a box stroke to spin the canoe as I got side ways on wave roughly were JP did during whitewater Weekend ( thanks to Bill Mason video's)
Over all a GREAT paddle on my favorite whitewater river.

Total Mileage 8
Total timed paddle 2hr & 15 Minutes
Average pace 3.8 mph

One I can get to my dad's computer I will edit my video and post on you tube.
Mike
PS-thank you JP as all of your help came in hand on this trip!!!