View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

My paddling high and low points are pretty thin this year. Between COVID and caring for my mother, I only made it out in the boat three times. Nevertheless, here goes:

High Points

1. Shenango River Fall Colors Run. When the paddling trips are few and far between, the ones we do make seem much sweeter and more appreciated. That was the case on the Shenango in October. It was near-perfect weather and water amid the soft glow of autumn leaves. And it felt SO good to be on the river after a year of barely paddling.

2. Lake Milton/Mahoning River Moonlight Run. This trip is always a blast. The weather was near perfect and the moon was gorgeous that evening. It was nice to paddle across the lake to talk to Sue Ramdin, host and leader of the trip for the previous six years, at her dock before heading up-lake toward Berlin Dam.

3. Deer Creek Reservoir. This was my first time on this reservoir, but it was not during the club trip which took place five days earlier in September. Once again, the weather was nearly perfect on a gorgeous late summer day with low humidity, light winds and beautiful puffy clouds. I took a friend whose only previous time in a canoe had not been good, so we went in hopes of a better experience for him. Due to my friend's inexplicable leg discomfort in the bow, we didn't make it as far as the tunnels, but still had a great time being out on such a pretty lake.

Low Point

Updating the calendar and schedule on the club website throughout the year for all the trip cancellations and changes due to COVID.

Hope a few others will chime in on their paddling year.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote