View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #5
DustinSW1627

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Noel Family Love of Paddling

Well, as I sit here with my 5 daughters reminiscing about the year I am thinking "WOW" that was a way better year than I thought. For starters I got 3 new boats. A 15' wood strip Great Canadian Canoe Company canoe, a 13' solo old town next, and a 15'6" Royalex Bell MorningStar Canoe.

Our first trip out was June 7th to Lake Arthur where we took the Bell and the wooden canoe. My in-laws met us there and took the little girls and my wife to the swim beach. Emeline and I jumped in the bell with Addie, Lena and my niece Deja in the wooden canoe. We are all swimmers so we quickly turned the canoes, abandoned the club and paddled to the swim beach. SORRY

June 21st I got my Fathers Day wish and the whole family did French Creek, Shaw's Landing to Cochranton. This is one of our favorite runs because of an amazing rope swing into the river.

July 11th found us at the Shenango Reservoir with Garrett Newton leading. I had to work that day so knew I would be at least 30 minutes late. Took my 2nd daughter, LenaClaire and the wooden canoe to work all day then raced to the launch. This was the only time I paddled the wooden canoe in 2020 and it was the hardest paddle of the year. Not because of the boat it's great but because we stated 30 minutes late and had to paddle into one heck of a wind. We still caught the group and had a great day.

My wife and I decided that we had not done enough camping to date so July 31st through the 2nd had us trying Pymatuming State Park for the first time. We took all 5 daughters and the canoe trailer. This was a laid back trip hanging out at the campsite, paddling to the swim beach and back to camp. Sunday morning we paddled to a church service with my wife, Amy, myself, and Hope(4) in the Bell. Addisen(13) in the vapor, Lena(11) in the next Emeline(8) & Gracie(7) paddling by themselves for the first time in 8' pelican kayaks.

We though we would miss the Foxburg Run but Aug. 8th joined the Allegheny Canoe club to make the run. We took a retired science teacher/reenactor/blacksmith friend of ours and his wife. He gave the girls a history lesson going down the river as well as naming every plant and tree. As stated we are swimmers so jumping off the bridge was GREAT!

Aug 9th was spent on French Creek with me leading my first trip with the club. I did this section when we lived in Edinboro. It is an easy self shuttle with the road section being 3 miles and the water section about 9 miles. This was the first time I took all 5 of my daughters leaving my wife at home for some alone time. Emeline & Gracie where back in the pelicans for their first trip on moving water with Addie in the vapor, Lena in the next, and 4 year old little Hopie and I in the bell. Nice trip with nice people with an Ice Cream stop on the way home.

I have been spending a week of my life at Cook Forest State Park, staying in Cabin #5 since I was 2 years old. Our trip this year was Aug. 22nd through the 28th. Saturday we invited friends and family to the cabin for BBQ chicken drum sticks and mash potatoes on the fire. Sunday was the club paddle with some lovely Chauffeurs. The water was low but 3 events over shadowed that hardship. One swimming and kayak seal launching off the swimming rock. Two ice cream along the river. Three seeing and swimming at the 1860's sawmill dam. Wow that water is cold.

I spent Sept. 8th, 9th, & 10th with my neighbor paddling the Allegheny from starbrick launch in Warren, PA to Oil City, PA. We camped on Islands paddling his wood canvas canoe for this 57 mile trip. I will be doing this for 5 nights in 2021 with my family.

Sept. 18th, 19th, & 20th was the first time I and my 2 oldest daughters visited Buckaloons. Our chickens donated 108 eggs for this occasion. It was below freezing at night but our Kodiak Canvas tent and big buddy heater was quite nice. The paddling and food was amazing. The girls and I could not miss the opportunity for a last swim of the year even though others looked to be in winter attire. While I was off retrieving my car after the paddle I began receiving text message pictures of Addie and Lena holding ducks. They had bread and the 200 ducks at point park could not resist. Six ducks were held before the shuttle crew returned.

2020 was not that bad looking back at this list. The Noel crew can not wait until the 2021 season. See you on the water.

Last edited by DustinSW1627; 01-11-2021 at 10:14 PM.
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote