Thread: Tuesday 21st
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

The weather should be beautiful, but I'm not so sure about the water levels, with small chance of precip between now and then.

Beaver Creek may be at a level high enough to paddle, but just barely. Neshannock gorge will probably be too low as well - not sure of the downstream section. Might be good for Connie though. Don't really know enough to say for the others.

If Tuesday is your day, you might want to consider the lower section of Slippery Rock Creek. You can do it solo by hiking the shuttle up along river right from the bridge on Mountville Road to Eckert Bridge. The first part of the trail (about 1/4 mile), up to Hell Run, is pretty sketchy, and not really an official trail. From Hell Run on it's a pretty good trail, but has a lot of up & down. I think it's about 3.5 miles.

Water should be at a nice friendly lower level. It's at 580 cfs now, and is still fun down to around 250-300 cfs, and paddleable down to about 150 cfs. Only two bigger rapids - both easily scoutable and portage-able.

I know you guys have your meeting on Sunday, but I'm probably going to head over sometime Sunday to get in a run of lower Slip - and could be talked into making it an early run, so that you could be at your meeting afterwards. Just putting that out there. I'd love to be able to take a day off work Tuesday, but we're so busy it's pretty much out of the question unless I'm dying.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote