View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Trying to analyze what the precip maps and USGS gauges are telling me.

Today would definitely be the day to hit the smaller Allegheny Gorge creeks. The question is what will hold for the next 24 hours. The bigger watershed whitewater creeks are HIGH. Slippery Rock Creek is at 2550 cfs and not dropping yet. Connoquennessing is at 2470 cfs and dropping. Clarion at Cooksburg is at 6500 cfs and still climbing, so it's likely that Toby Creek and Millstone Creek are running today.

I'm very tempted to try to cut out of work at noon and go while the going is good. But I guess I'll hold on till Saturday morning.

So my plan tomorrow is to head east on I-80 and get off at Clintonville to get a visual on Scrubgrass Creek (closest creek to the interstate and acts as a good gauge for other creeks in the area). If it looks to have a bunch of water I'll head down to Parker and see if Bear Creek is going. If not, and Scrubgrass looks like it has enough water, then Scrubgrass will be the run of the day. If the water has dropped out on both of those, then I'll head up towards Franklin and get on East Sandy Creek again.

Going to try to get out fairly early Saturday, but anyone wanting to explore is welcome to come along.

Looks like Ohio near Lake Erie got a good amount of rain as well, so those heading that way seem likely to have plenty of water. Anyone able to get a visual on Phelps Creek (between routes 322 & 534 near Windsor OH - best vantage point is at the covered bridge) please post it here (and thanks).

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote