View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2014 Paddling Year High Points and Low Points

TCT,
At the close of every year, I like to encourage members to summarize the high points and low points of their personal paddling season. Below are what I consider the best and the worst of my own paddling experience in 2014. Please consider posting yours.

High Points

Neshannock Creek – This TCT trip had all the elements of a picture-perfect spring river run–good current, medium water level, plenty of rapids that weren't difficult enough to distract from enjoying the scenery, gorgeous weather and beautiful spring vegetation. This was an outstanding trip.

River Fest on the Mahoning – What a pleasure it was to take so many people who had never experienced the Mahoning River on a short canoe ride. It was a real public service for TCT to step up for this, and it was a tribute to the membership see so many show up to make the rides run smoothly.

Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek (Teegarden to Elkton side trip) – This was a personal first descent from a spot where I had fished with my father as a kid, but I had never floated this section. So there was a fair amount of nostalgia associated with this trip.

Mahoning River (Lowellville to Edinburg) – I've always liked this run and the gorgeous fall weather, the medium water level, and a slight tail wind made for a beautiful trip this year.

Boat Counting By-laws – Though this may be running it into the ground, Ed Rigby's spoof on voter registration and applying it to boat counting on TCT trips was hilarious. Now we know who in the club to turn to for comedy writing.

Low Points

Keeping the Upper Mahoning Free of Wood – This continues to be a challenge. Keeping the river open through and/or around deadfalls can be both difficult and dangerous. Two deadfalls necessitated changing the Rotary to Swift Park run scheduled in September to an up and back trip from Rotary Park.

Struthers Dam – It always seems to produce some level of drama on the Y-town run. This year was no different with one bobbing swimmer in the hydraulic (easily pulled out), one partially submerged pinned boat (not quite as easily extricated), one stuck-on-rock boat, and one cracked wooden paddle. TO ALL INEXPERIENCED PADDLERS WHO MAY READ THIS: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN THIS DAM OR APPROACH ANY LOW HEAD DAM FROM UPRIVER OR DOWNRIVER.

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-20-2014 at 12:08 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote