View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Other high for me was doing the Ashtabula river over labor day.
The river was up, which I had to use the Grand river gage and Conneuat River gage.

I started out on green hill rd and went to the ford, which is about 5 or 6 miles.
This section is mirrors the grand river, but adds some real challenges.

It has several 1 foot drops that are all natural and one that is about a 5 foot drop. That large drop is called the Ashtabula Slide, and it really is a one big slide that mother nature built. I made it several times over with no problems, but my spray skirt was a must.
After that and once you pass a cover bridge on dewy rd there is a class two at low levels and a class three with higher flow.
the river narrows down and the flow oicks up and then you hit it and then there is a 2 or 3 ft drop with a quick 45 degree angle turn which runs into several small rapids and a wave train.
In my three hours on this rapid I only flipped once and I also did this in my 14ft kayak. After that is a great paddle to the ford, where I took out.
I will try to post pictures of the Ashtabula river that I found online and that I took in november when I walked it

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote