View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Tusc Trip Report 9-29-19

We had a very pleasant early fall paddle on the Tuscarawas. We had 12 paddlers today... 8 kayaks and 2 tandem canoes. The temp of 70 deg and some overcast clouds made just about perfect paddling conditions. The river was low but had a surprisingly good current for most of the trip. Water in the long pools was sufficiently deep and only thinned down at the occasional gravel bars. Only one boat (that I saw) got stuck on a gravel bar. I did bump some rocks here and there. I don't think anyone had to get out and walk. A couple of osprey were spotted. This section of river was nearly all wooded and very quiet except for the last .5 mi which runs close to I-77.

NTR livery hauled us up to a sandy launch near SR 212 & Riverland Rd. They claim this is an 8.5 mile trip but my GPS says 7.0 miles from this launch back to the livery.

After the paddle a few of us stopped at the nearby Lockport Brewery for a bite to eat and more conversation.

A big "Thank You" goes to Pete for scouting and organizing this trip.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't sure what to expect for water level on this trip. Watching the Massillon gage (20 ? miles up-river) the river just kept dropping over the last few days. Mike noted the 2016 trip here was at .93 ft. Sunday morning it was reading .59 ft. This is the lowest reading in more than a year. At these lower water levels the gage doesn't appear to correlate well with the river level 20 miles downstream?

KenM

-----Photos added-----
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote