View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
suram

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Moonlight Paddle Lake Milton

Moon Light Paddle Lake Milton- Trip Leader Sue Ramdin
When- Friday July 27th (Rain Date Saturday July 28th)

Where- 2898 Penn Court Lake Milton OH 44429

Time start 7-9pm, ending whenever

GPS 41.077316, -80.977310

Looking forward to the moonlight paddle on Friday July 27. Rain date is Saturday July 28.Weather looks OK for Friday so we're doing this Friday

We will meet at our place on Lake Milton: 2898 Penn Court, Lake Milton Ohio (GPS usually works well getting folks here). GPS coordinates are: GPS 41.077316,-80.977310

I'll be there from 6 on. We'll have a potluck dinner between 7 and 9. Feel free to come and hang out around the fire (I have firewood this year Rich and Ken believe it or not), visit and eat, then head out to paddle between 830 and 930.

In the newsletter I said between 9 and 930 but some may want to see the first glimpse of the moon rising so we should be on the water sooner than 9. I'm thinking 815-830

Sunset is at 8:44. Moonrise is 8:47 (so we'll see it between 9-9:15 unless it's cloudy). If it looks like a washout we should be able to tell by Thursday night in which case we can change it to Sat.

Gear: bring several glow sticks to decorate your boats. Red lighted headlamps are also good. Your boat or you must be visible in the dark but you also don't want to blind your fellows paddlers with lights that are too bright.
Bring a chair and insect repellant
The club usually provides hotdogs and hamburgers but the sausage, peppers and onions were a big hit last year so I'll be doing that again. I'll do a few veggie burgers as well. There will be iced tea and water to drink. Feel free to bring whatever else you want to drink and a side dish.
It's about a 5 mile paddle if you go all the way down to the Berlin dam and back. Some go all the way to the dam and some head back to the campfire sooner. We usually eat again when we get back. I'll be there all night so however late you want to stay is fine.

Once again the Perseid meteor shower will reach its maximum rate of activity on 13 August 2018 but some shooting stars associated with the shower are expected to be visible each night from 23 July to 20 August. Annual meteor showers arise when the Earth passes through streams of debris left behind by comets and asteroids.
I've had a few questions from some who have not paddled in the dark so posting this from ODNR:

Vessels Under Oars
OAC 1501.47-2-25
A vessel under oars may exhibit lights for sailing vessels, but if not, shall have an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light in sufficient time to prevent collision.

copied from- http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/lights#601

Any questions please feel free to get in touch with me
Sue 330-518-1359

Last edited by suram; 07-26-2018 at 03:12 PM.
suram is offline   Reply With Quote