View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Thanks for the B&O to Lowellville Trip!

Many thanks to Mike Danko for posting a last minute side trip down the Mahoning through Youngstown to Lowellville on Sunday, July 29. My nephew from New Jersey and I had been trying to do a canoe trip for a long time and he made it a point to spend an extra day in Ohio on his way to Michigan so we could paddle. We had intended to use the Camp Hi shuttle and paddle the Cuyahoga from Russell Park back to Camp Hi. But instead we jumped on Mike's trip when he posted it on Saturday.

What a great trip it was! Perfect weather and water level–not too hot or windy and 1.8 feet on West Ave gage and great paddling companions–Mike, Jessica, Todd, Shelly, and Andrew, my nephew. I gave Andrew a bit of an thrill (scare?) early in the trip when we went a little too far right through Marshall Street rapids and the canoe tipped left when we angled atop the water pillow flowing over the large rock close to shore. At least two of the wave train rapids–Iron Bridge (river right just downriver of Rebar Rapids) and another one on river left somewhere below the Struthers dam–really picked up speed while bouncing through them. The trip on this section was another reminder of how much good work that Chuck Miller, Ed Hahn, and friends have done to open up and maintain this stretch of the Mahoning. It was another great day on the river.

Last edited by JPTolson; 07-31-2018 at 09:32 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote