View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
maggy

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Another paddling opportunity in that area would be to get on the creek just on the other side of the state line and paddle out into the western reaches of Shenango Reservoir.
Yes! While paddling, we wondered if there was a road that came near the creek and I googled that area after we went upstream to the Orangeville damn and back. It was Old Carlisle. We launched at Parker's Landing and went into the western part of Shenango just to find the creek. And as you've noted it was a maze but at a point we noticed someone had hung bright pink survey streamers from the trees. They followed the trail so we figured they were breadcrumbs, not sure. There might be another reason for streamers that we are just too green to understand. We enjoyed that area immensely. As you say, lots of wildlife... loved seeing many turtles basking on the branches and apparently all the herons that were in the old heron sanctuary live there now. And about losing our way - I take my cell and use mapmyrun. It helps us get back to start point since we also like to kayak at night. I can also look at the map later and see where roads are in relation to our trips. Google is usually correct but not always. We also searched for historical maps of the lake since we wanted to identify the old roadway going across the lake in that area. I need to take better notes since I can't remember the name of it but it comes off of Saranac. It's now a primitive access area with steps going down to the lake. The road is now a trail that ends in the lake.

Quote:
There is a grassy public access site on French Creek at Utica, PA, on river left that TCT uses as a put in for its annual trip on French Creek. Take out is on the Allegheny at the Elk Street? boat ramp on river right.
We are thinking of trying French creek from Saegertown to Meadville. Is that too advanced for beginners? I've been reading about it on the French Creek Trail site. We'll definitely scout before attempting it.

Thank you both very much!
maggy is offline   Reply With Quote