View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #14
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Paddle Review

WOW, what a day we had on the Mahoning River. Yeah we had to wait a little bit but I think it was worth it.

ODNR did a nice job with Zack. I found it to be amazing for TCT to be part of the Paddle Ohio Program and get to work with ODRN.

During the meeting we had I couldn't help but think of Peppy, Preston Foster, Don & Judi Moller and other members who were around in the early days of the club. To have a public event like this on the Mahoning River in a section that so many have worked so hard to make it Canoe-able. Made me wonder what they would say? Also to think how proud they would be of this accomplishment.
I only hope we continue to follow the dream of the founders of the club as we move forward.

The final stats had 80 paddlers on the trip, which is the biggest to date for paddle Ohio event that surpassed the Grand River which had 60 some paddlers.
We also had some State Representatives show up with our county commissioner.

TCT came out with a strong support for the event; I counted 28 members but I might have missed a couple.

Scott from ODNR was very impressed how we help with the paddle. He loved the idea Bob K had by putting him and Steve Preston in the water and keeping everyone behind them as we load people in the boats.

He was also impressed with the safety measures we have with the two way radio's and keeping in contact from the back to the front. At one point we were spread out a mile long on the river.

Scott and several other paddlers came up to me and mentioned how they really appreciated what several members did by blocking several paths that could be trouble and guiding them through others. I only know of Steve Preston & Rich Allan as they were near the front, but I want to say thank you to others who helped.

Matthew Scott did mentioned that the Trumbull Metro Park and TCT gave more help than any other organizations they have dealt with since the Lake Metro Parks.

On a personal note I was really honored and so thrilled that several ODNR officials & Watercraft Officers asked me to be one of lead boats. For some reason that just fired me up.

Thank you to all who showed up and helped with this event, helped with our new information flier that was in each packet, and to all members who voted at the planning meeting for the club to cover the shuttle as it was a big help.

On a small side note Bob K pointed out that the kayaks still out numbered the canoes :(
Also several people had no idea what kind of kayak Ron was paddling. It was funny to explain that it is a Whitewater kayak

A thanks also need to our sister club Friends of the Mahoning for providing free bottles of water.

Thanks Again
Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 07-11-2017 at 08:46 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote