View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Interesting idea for a trip. I've been on the creek a bit upstream a couple of times, but not further down.

If you go upstream, under the route 422 bridge, you'll be entering a nice section of creek where it goes through the woods west of the Mall. This is a surprisingly isolated area, with areas of swamp and woods surrounding. This time of year you might get a chance to see some migrating waterfowl pausing on the creek.

If you were to go upstream of 422, at the second set of power lines to cross the creek (where the creek makes a 90 degree right turn) you'll be paddling along the edge of the North Road Nature Preserve, 140 acres of Trumbull Metroparks. This is the area where I've been building trails through the woods for the last 3 years. If you were to land on the left (west) side of the creek at that second powerline you would be right at the edge of the phase III trail that we're working on (and hoping to finish) this year. As a matter of fact there is a good chance that I'll be back there working this Sunday while you're paddling!

Don't know if the conditions are still the same, but it used to be clear to paddle from Up the Creek down to the dirt jumps beside the creek just south of route 422.

Good luck with the weather Sunday. I'll keep my eyes and ears out for paddlers when I'm working on trails.

Steve Z

PS - One of the items on our 'wish list' for the park is an access trail to the creek for paddlers, with 2 boat racks along the way to make the 1/4 mile carry in more manageable. Maybe some day!
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote