View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Light vs Durable

Welcome to the "lighter vs heavy & durable" boat conumdrum.

We like our 3-layer ABS Hurricanes for ease of carrying around and loading. They also seem to be a bit more nimble on the water and handle well in a variety of conditions.

As Mike noted... There are some trade-offs with any ABS boat. They need a bit more care than polyethylene most of which you are used to with your fiberglass boat. We don't drag them on land. We enter/exit parallel to the shore (dirt or cement ramp). When we do get stuck on rock or gravel we get out and walk rather than grind by pushing with paddle. Basically we avoid or minimize anything abrasive. We do still take out our 10 ft Perception Prodigies occassionally for a rock garden trip.

You know K & C paddle flat or moving water (within our capabilities). As far as moving water, our Hurricanes have been down the Grand with low water when we had to search for a channel with enough water. I've been down the Little Beaver a couple of times with TCT...one of which was a bit low and rocky. Two overnights on the Tionesta (one with you) and Clarion. At least 7 times down the Shenango below dam. Several times on the Mahoning some of which had some fun rapids. I think we did the lower Mohigan with you a few years back. And one 11 mile trip down the Big Darby when water was about 1 inch above walking level...we bumped the whole way. And lots more paddles!

Our Hurricanes now have 5 full seasons on them. The bottoms do have scratches and nicks...mine more than Chery's. I have a small crack from a sharp rock on the Clarion and another small crack on a spot that flexes a bit when sliding over a log/rock. ABS is easy to to repair. If I wear mine out in a few more years I'll buy another ABS. We do take reasonable care of them.

ABS choices? Hurricane, Eddyline. Delta 12 or 12.10

These ABS boats seem always to be noted as recreational or light touring and suitable for flat easy slow rivers or lakes... I guess they don't paddle Ohio?

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote