View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Ken and Cheryl 2020 review

The most remarkable 2020 paddling story for Ken and Cheryl was how little we paddled this season. The virus kept us from travelling as freely as we are accustomed too. We stayed a lot closer to home, and to ourselves. We missed getting out with some of our hiking friends and felt especially bad about not being able to paddle much with TCT. The virus will keep us from doing shuttles for the time being.

Still, we got out nine times. Mostly to our familiar nooks in local lakes... Walborn, Deer Creek, Magadore. A trip to the Sugartree Fork end of Salt Fork Lake where we found the beaver dam breached which allowed paddling up the Clear Creek a short distance, and paddled remarkably close to an eagle. One trip to the flooded Upper Cuyahoga to paddle upstream from Eldon Russel about 3 miles and back.

We only got out two times with TCT. At Lake Arthor my boat developed a small crack that leaked faster than I could bail which meant a trip back to the launch for duck tape. The other outing was the tunnel paddle at Deer Creek.

The telling tale was that we logged in only about 38 miles of paddling when our average year has been 150 to 200 miles.

One low point: I like to paddle the upper end of Walborn Res and often go up Deer Creek where it comes into the lake. A tree has fallen straight across the creek about two feet above the water. I would take a saw to it except it is totally covered with thick poison ivy. Groan.

And 2021 ?? Hard to say what the virus/vaccine situation will be like. I am considering a moped or electric bicycle to use as a shuttle vehicle. Also, the big news for Cheryl and I was that, last fall, we bought a used class B camper van. It's a very tall Promaster cargo van. We hope to do some hiking and paddling trips with it. I would prefer not to haul kayaks on a trailer (but might resort to that). I may win the prize for car-topping if I can figure out a way to load two kayaks on an 8' 3" high roof!

Ken and Cheryl 1-10-21
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote