View Single Post
Old 12-30-2023, 10:40 AM   #5
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Mike Danko Highs and Lows paddling of 2023

1-Lehigh River, PA
Jessica and myself took a vacation to Lehigh Valley and made several trip on different parts of the Lehigh Rver
- White Haven to Rockport. We were able to meet up with Matt Brady a club member from New York for this pure whitewater trip. 9 miles @ 795 CFS dam release. Tons of class II and several class III. It tested everyone of my paddle strokes and reading water. One of the best whitewater trips I have paddled. Had a water safety guide come flying up to me in my canoe to make sure I could make this trip at the beginning and once she saw my set up she just started yelling I am old school with air bags and a 16ft canoe. That tickled me pink. Great Trip

-Glen Onoko to Bowmantown, 11.25 Miles @ 819 cfs Several Class I and several class II but a beautiful trip and got to paddle through the town of Jim Thorpe.

2- Beaver Creek
-Getting to do a club trip on the West Fork which is scenic and very wild with some class I water. We had several portages but still a great trip with several newbies to that section

-In August Jessica and myself made a great trip from Sprucevale to Ohioville 11 Miles. Water level was 5.69 which made for some great whitewater specially at fredrickstown

3- Connoquenessing Creek-
Before our vacation we made a trip dpwn the connie to warm up on some whitewater. Always a great whitewater trip 2.13 ft

4-Mad Hatter Race -Grand River

Watching Jessica win her division in the race was an amazing event to watch.

5- Mahoning River Girard to Struthers
I got to paddle tandem with my father-in-law in his aluminum canoe for his first trip with the club. Had a blast in the rapids with him specially Marshall Street Bridge Rapid

6-Frost bite Paddle -Pymatuning Creek
Great Fall Paddle for November with an amazing group that day. Very calm water with beautiful scenery along the way. Did it as a up and back for a total of a 5 mile paddle.

Low Points
1-Ashtabula River

Made several attempts to paddle my favorite whitewater section but never could make it work out due to weather or water levels

2-Mad Hatter Race Grand River.
I missed the cut off for sign ups and was unable to paddle the race.

3-Several Cancelled Club trips
I always look forward to club trip and we had several get canceled and Jessica and myself had to miss the yough trip.