View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
erbego

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

JP, you might look into launching into Lake Erie near Bay Village. There are fireworks tonight in Cahoon Park - West, which is in Huntington Beach Reservation (Cleveland Metroparks). I don't know how good the view would be? I also don't know how the park feels about boat launching, but I imagine there is a spot on the beach somewhere where the locals probably tend to go even though there is not official access point. You could launch 3.5 miles east at the Bradstreet Landing. Be sure you have the proper safety gear--whistle, lights, etc--if you go.

You can also go out to Portage Lakes on July 5, but be prepared for hundreds of boats on the water with you, most with drunk drivers. I've been out there for the fireworks on a pontoon boat a couple of times. Boats are so thick you could practically walk across the lake from one to the other without having to get your feet wet! When the show is over everyone tries to jostle for position in line to leave, much like drivers trying to exit a concert or major sporting event, only worse because they all have to go to the bathroom!

I know kayakers watch from the river in Columbus and I believe they also do so in Pittsburgh.

Good luck! Let us know if you find a good event to attend.
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to erbego For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (07-04-2014)