View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
justbrad

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default My two cents on Sunday's trip

That was without a doubt the largest concentration of big waves I have ever experienced on one trip. It was a roller coaster ride from the moment we put in, even if I did get ejected in a spin cycle near the end. What a rush!!

That being said, I agree with Ed and John Paul that our safety skills could use a little fine tuning. Maybe we could do something at the picnic to practice our safety bag tosses - make a game of it to see who can throw it the furthest and/or the most accurately. Also, we should practice the art of being rescued - How to grab the line and how to get reeled in. The whole idea of these exercises would be to experience them in a controlled environment so that we will know what to do in the heat of an actual rescue.

Sunday also left me with a greater appreciation of the t-grippers. Having to use a canoe paddle to maneuver around (since I absent mindedly left my paddle in the trunk of my car way back at the take out) made me realize how much more canoeists have to plan their moves several steps ahead, instead of just being able to paddle like hell to get out of tricky situations like we kayakers can get away with. Not to mention how canoes are truly the tractor trailers of the water, ably pulling people to shore and hauling people and supplies around. Maybe some day I might even think about getting one of my own. BTW, thanks to Ed for the use of the paddle, to JP for collecting me and my boat from the raging waters, and to Mike for putting the whole trip together.
justbrad is offline   Reply With Quote