View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #30
bikin-mike

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Nice Pedal-n-Paddle trip

Floated this on Fri after getting some excellent advice from JP.

Gage was at 6.5 and falling.

Scraped in about 3 spots. Can’t imaging doing this when it’s much lower. Lots of spots looked pretty shallow.

Had about 5’ clearance below the low water bridge.

Took us about 2 hrs, but wasted 1/2 an hour fighting a tree across the river.

Two trees completely across the river. One a few minutes after Teegarden. Was able to duck under. One about half way. No way over or under. Water was about 3.5 ft and fast. Amateur mistake got me swamped. Had to portage around on right bank. Luckily it was flat and just weeds and mud.

Beautiful scenery. Great flow. Very little padding required.

For anyone considering this trip, want to share two excellent pieces of advice that I got from JP.

1. Scout the low water bridge for clearance and especially for wood caught under the bridge. River is very narrow and fast. I didn’t see any eddies. River banks are steep and jagged concrete. Portage is impossible in my opinion. I’d hate to come down there and find a problem. Park in the feed store at the NE corner and checkout the bridge.

2. Scout the Lisbon takeout to be sure you can recognize it from the water. Very small bare spot on the left bank. It’s immediately after the red Market St bridge. Tree growing in the water and a 12” rock marks the spot. River pretty fast here too, so be ready to paddle hard left when you pass the bridge. Nice eddy that easily fit a couple kayaks or more. Be careful when stepping out. Had a small ledge with about 1’ of water, but slipped off and had 2’ or more. Nice gravel ramp up to parking.

We considered taking out at Willow Grove, but bank was about 3’ vertical mud. Didn’t look like fun.

Really easy pedal-n-paddle. Might be one of the nicest bike trails in OH. Nice to have a picnic table to sit on to change into the water shoes. Very nice to have a bathroom at the end to change out of wet clothes.

We did this section because the main river in the park was too high. No complaints as a backup trip. Glad we did it. Thx JP for the original post that caught our eye and the great advice....Mike

p.s. If you find a yellow and blue bilge pump or gray and white polar bottle, they’re mine. Last time I saw them, they were headed for the gulf :-)
bikin-mike is offline   Reply With Quote