Old 10-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default There are options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1022 View Post
Hi!

I am new to this group and relatively new to kayaking. I began in June of this year and have probably kayaked 15-20 times this summer. I really want to go on this trip, but I am a little leery of Class II rapids. I have been on riffles and a small set of Class I rapids on the Allegheny/Buckaloons trip.

My question is: are Class II rapids too much for someone with my level of experience?

I have a Pungo 125, by the way--if that plays any part. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Stephanie,

Great that you, as a new paddler, are pondering whether it is wise and safe to run what we affectionately call ‘Radio Rapid.’ Even better that you are consulting others with experience for advice. Our club’s members are always willing to help new paddlers. There are options for how to approach and run any rapid.

1. Read it and and run it. This means that you read the water (determine the best way(s) through the rapid) and paddle as you approach and go through it without the benefit of scouting the rapid from shore or following a paddler ahead of you.

2. Follow the boat ahead of you. This can work, but it can also backfire if you are a new paddler and the paddler in front of you likes to take tricky or unconventional lines (routes) through a rapid. It will work best if you ask an experienced paddler to take the easiest line so that you can then follow that route.

3. Get out of your boat upstream of the rapid, walk down the river bank, and scout the rapid. This usually gives a paddler a good idea of the line(s) (route) through the rapid to paddle through it successfully. NOTE: The rapid will look very different when you are back in your boat on the river and paddling into it than it did from shore.

4. Carry your boat around the rapid. After scouting a rapid and you do not wish to run it, carry your boat on the river bank to below the rapid or line it (requires a painter) through the rapid from the shore or in water along the bank if the water is shallow enough to walk through it.

5. Ask an experienced paddler to paddle your boat through the rapid and walk around the rapid on shore.

There are a few other options, but the ones above should be enough to allow you to decide how best to get safely through Radio Rapid. And, as Mark said, carry a dry bag with dry clothes, tied into your kayak, as warmth insurance. The water on Sunday will be cold.

Last edited by JPTolson; 10-14-2022 at 10:18 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote