View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default An inexperienced paddler on the Mahoning

Mahoning River Water Trail

https://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/Porta...wtMahoning.pdf

This map shows put-ins and major obstacles like dams but does NOT show things like log jams and strainers which can change with every rainfall.

You sound very in-experienced. You mentioned a 17 ft kayak? A sea or touring kayak could be an issue on our smaller rivers as they are not as manuverable in tight situations and also depending on the boat, not very stable if being pushed by moving water. Just be aware.

Going out with some experienced paddlers ( like TCT) would be a good way to learn about moving water and the fun AND the hazards. I'd suggest you take that opportunity. There is an organized trip this Sunday.

Possibly you could just go to a nearby lake for a little practice to see how your boat handles before trying moving water. That would be smart.

Right now I imagine there are some other members other than me that are concerned about you going out by yourself on the river and being totally unprepared. NONE of us would like to read about your experience in the police report!

ps.. At Foster Park the river goes upstream (south) a short distance and stops at the base of Lake Milton dam outlet. Downstream you go to Newton Falls where there is a dam that MUST be portaged. Look at the map.

KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote